India Women’s team to tour Sri Lanka in June 2022 for 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is

As the excitement around the upcoming Women’s T20 Challenge that kick starts from May 23 in Pune is slowly and steadily building up, there is some more good news for the fans of Indian women’s cricket. It is announced that the Women in Blue will travel to Sri Lanka to play a three-match ODI series followed by a three-match T20I tournament.

India Women's team to tour Sri Lanka in June 2022 for 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is. PC: Getty Images
India Women’s team to tour Sri Lanka in June 2022 for 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is. PC: Getty Images

The Indian team will land in the island country on June 18. The first ODI will be played on June 23 and the first T20I is scheduled to be played on July 3. The third and the last T20I of the bilateral series will be played on July 7.

After the Sri Lanka series, the Indian team will feature in the much-awaited Commonwealth Games. Cricket is back in the Commonwealth Games after 24 years. This will be the inaugural edition of the women’s T20I tournament in the Commonwealth Games. The event will be held in Birmingham from July 29 to August 7. India is grouped with Australia, Pakistan and Barbados. A total of eight teams will participate in the competition, including England, New Zealand, South Africa and Sri Lanka.

The Indian team will continue to hit the road as they will play England in a bilateral series after the Commonwealth Games. The finalists of the 2017 World Cup will lock horns against each other in a three-match T20I series followed by a three-match ODI series. Unlike the last time, India toured England in 2021, the two teams will not play the one-off Test. The ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) confirmed that a Test match could not be accommodated as the hosts will be busy preparing for the second edition of the Hundred.

Also Read:  "We will try our best to beat India," says Chamari Athapaththu

Meanwhile, Ramesh Powar, who is the head coach of the Indian women’s cricket team will continue with the job for another year. Though there were talks around India’s dismal performance in the 2022 ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup under the aegis of Powar, the former India spinner has been given a go ahead.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here