Amelia Kerr’s all-round heroic thrash India by 63 Runs to take 4-0 Series Lead

The fourth ODI of the five-match series between India and New Zealand, which the latter lead by 3-0, was played on February 22 at the John Davies Oval in Queenstown. The match was reduced to 20 overs a side due to rain at the scheduled start of the match.

Amelia Kerr's all-round heroic thrash India by 63 Runs to take 4-0 Series Lead. PC: Twitter
Amelia Kerr’s all-round heroic thrash India by 63 Runs to take 4-0 Series Lead. PC: Twitter

Toss

India won the toss and elected to bowl first.

Playing XI

India: Mithali Raj (c), Smriti Mandhana, Deepti Sharma, Richa Ghosh, Shafali Verma, Yastika Bhatia, Pooja Vastrakar,Meghna Singh, Renuka Singh Thakur, Sneh Rana, Rajeshwari Gayakwad

New Zealand: Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Amelia Kerr, Lauren Down, Katey Martin, Amy Satterthwaite, Hannah Rowe, Rosemary Mair, Frances Mackay, Hayley Jensen, Jess Kerr

First innings: New Zealand 191-5 in 20 overs

New Zealand plundered a daunting total of 191-5 in 20 overs, thanks to Amelia Kerr’s unbeaten 68 off 33 balls. Kerr smashed 11 boundaries and a six during her entertaining knock. After a solid start by Sophie Devine (32 runs off 24 balls) and Suzie Bates (41 runs off 26 balls), who put together 53 runs for the first wicket in just six overs, Amy Satterthwaite (32 runs off 16 balls) and Kerr took over and continued to thrash the Indian bowling attack. For India, Renuka Singh Thakur was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-33 in her four overs. In the absence of Jhulan Goswami, Pooja Vastrakar, Meghna Singh and Thakur formed India’s pace battery. Apart from that blinder from Smriti Mandhana at point to get rid of Devine, India’s fielding looked ordinary. Rajeshwari Gayakwad gave a lifeline to Bates as she dropped a sitter off Deepti Sharma’s bowling. India’s highest successful run chase in a T20I has been 174 and with this ODI being reduced to 20-overs a side affair, India, in the second innings, had to bat as if it was a T20I.

Second innings: India 128 all out in 17.5 overs

India did not get off to the best of starts as they were struggling at 4-19 in 4.4 overs. Richa Ghosh and captain Mithali Raj came together to consolidate the innings and in the process stitched a 77-run partnership for the fifth wicket. Ghosh (52 runs off 29 balls) played the aggressor’s role and Raj (30 runs off 28 balls) acted as the perfect second fiddle. After the departure of Ghosh and Raj, the Indian lower order made a beeline to the pavilion as the last four wickets fell in just four runs. For New Zealand, Hayley Jensen and Amelia Kerr scalped three wickets apiece, with Frances Mackay and Jess Kerr accounting for two wickets each. India were bundled out for 128 in 17.5 overs, losing the match by 63 runs. 

Also Read:  Smriti Mandhana and Harmanpreet Kaur help India take 1-0 ODI Series Lead

Richa Ghosh smashes 26 Ball Fifty against New Zealand. PC: BCCIWomen / Twitter
Richa Ghosh smashes 26 Ball Fifty against New Zealand. PC: BCCIWomen / Twitter

Player of the Match

New Zealand’s Amelia Kerr won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right handed batter scored 68 not out off 33 balls. With the ball, the leg spinner picked up 3-30 in 3.5 overs.

Brief Scores

New Zealand 191-5 in 20 overs (A Kerr 68 not out; R Thakur 2-33) beat India 128 all out in 17.5 overs (R Ghosh 52; H Jensen 3-32) by 63 runs

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here