Amelia Kerr’s Century powers New Zealand to 3-Wicket Win over India

The second ODI of the five-match series between India and New Zealand, which the latter lead by 1-0, was played on February 15 at the John Davies Oval in Queenstown.

Amelia Kerr's Century powers New Zealand to 3-Wicket Win over India
Amelia Kerr’s Century powers New Zealand to 3-Wicket Win over India

Toss

India won the toss and elected to bat first.

Playing XI

India: Mithali Raj (c), Harmanpreet Kaur, Deepti Sharma, Richa Ghosh, Shafali Verma, Yastika Bhatia, Sabbhineni Meghana, Pooja Vastrakar, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Simran Dil Bahadur, Poonam Yadav

New Zealand: Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Amelia Kerr, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Katey Martin, Amy Satterthwaite, Hayley Jensen, Fran Jonas, Jess Kerr, Rosemary Mair

First innings: India 270-6 in 50 overs

Riding on twin half centuries from captain Mithali Raj (66 not out off 81 balls) and wicket-keeper Richa Ghosh (65 runs off 64 balls), India managed to put together 270-6 in 50 overs, which was their highest total against New Zealand. Raj registered her 61st ODI half-century and went past 7500 ODI runs, including 5030 runs as captain, a feat which is not achieved by any captain in women’s ODI cricket. Early in the day, opening bat Sabbhineni Meghana scored 49 runs off50 balls to set the tone. Meghana was caught and bowled by leg spinner Amelia Kerr as she missed out on her maiden ODI half-century by just one run. Yastika Bhatia and Shafali Verma too made some useful contributions at the top of the order mustering 31 and 24 respectively. For New Zealand, their captain Sophie Devine was the pick of the bowlers as she struck with 2-42 in her eight overs. The White Ferns did not have the best of days on the field as they dropped three catches and missed one stumping chance.

Also Read:  "When I retire, I will definitely look back at that historic day" - Amelia Kerr recalls her 232 Knock

Second innings: New Zealand 273-7 in 49 overs

The opening pair of Sophie Devine and Suize Bates got off to a flying start as they muscled 35 runs in just 4.4 overs, before Bates departed scoring a quick 16 off 14 balls. Devine after a handy contribution of 33 from 30 balls made her way back to the pavilion after being caught in the first slip by Yastika Bhatia off Rajeshwari Gayakwad’s bowling. The stand-in captain Amy Satterthwaite was sent packing on a golden duck by Deepti Sharma. Suddenly New Zealand were struggling at 55-3 in 8.5 overs, having lost their top three batters. While it was supposedly India’s game from then on, Maddy Green and Amelia Kerr had some other plans. The duo stitched 128-run partnership for the fourth wicket to dent India’s chances of winning. Green registered her third ODI half-century, while Kerr muscled an unbeaten 119 off 135 balls to see her side home. For India, Deepti Sharma was the pick of the bowlers as she accounted for 4-52 in her 10 overs. Just like New Zealand, India also dropped a few catches; two by Taniya Bhatia and one by Yastika Bhatia, which was of Amelia Kerr, who was on 25. Kerr made the Indians pay a heavy price for giving her a lifeline as she crafted New Zealand’s three-wicket win steering the White Ferns to 273-7 in 49 overs.

Player of the Match

New Zealand’s Amelia Kerr won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right handed batter scored 119 not out off 135 balls. She also picked up 1-43 in eight overs, bowling leg spin.

Brief Scores

India 270-6 in 50 overs (M Raj 66 not out; S Devine 2-42) lost to New Zealand 273-7 in 49 overs (A Kerr 119 not out; D Sharma 4-52) by 3 wickets

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Statistical Analysis - Who were the Top performers at World Cup 2022?
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here