Mithali Raj completes 5000 ODI Runs as Captain, Scores 61st ODI Fifty

If there was a competition for the most consistent batter in the world of women’s cricket, then there is seldom any doubt that the winner would have been none other than India’s ODI and Test captain Mithali Raj.

To give a glimpse of her consistency, Raj scored a delectable half-century on Tuesday in the second ODI of the five-match bilateral series against New Zealand. The skipper registered her 61st half-century in ODI cricket, which is the highest in the history of women’s 50-over format. Coming in at number four, she put her head down and crafted an unbeaten 66 off 81 balls, including just the three boundaries, which indicates that she ran well between the wickets.

This was her second half-century in the series, having registered one in the first ODI on February 12. Raj’s innings of 66 helped India post a challenging score of 270-6 in 50 overs, which is team India’s highest total against New Zealand in women’s ODIs. India’s previous best against the White Ferns was 265-7 in 2017 at Derby.

Records that Mithali Raj made during her innings on February 15, 2022

Mithali Raj stitched a 108-run partnership with Richa Ghosh for the fourth wicket, which is the first ever hundred-run partnership by an Indian pair for fourth or lower wickets in women’s international cricket in New Zealand. This partnership of 108 runs is the joint highest fourth wicket partnership for India in women’s ODIs.

Also Read:  1st T20I - India Women defeated by 6 wickets in tri-series opener by Australia Women

The 39-year old right handed batter also completed 7500 ODI runs, a feat achieved by nobody else in the history of women’s ODI cricket.

Out of the 7516 runs which she has, 5030 runs have come as a captain. She became the first captain to muster 5000+ runs as ODI captain in women’s cricket. Raj has been captaining India since 2004.

The prolific batter has been dominating women’s cricket for more than 22 years and out of these 22 years, she has averaged 50+ for 13 years.

Interesting fact

Mithali Raj and Richa Ghosh share the first century partnership in international cricket (men/women) where one player debuted before the other was born. Mithali debuted in 1999 while Richa was born in 2003.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here