Suzie Bates Complete 11 ODI Centuries and surpass 8000 International Runs

New Zealand’s Suzie Bates scored her 11th ODI century on Saturday in the first ODI against India at the John Davies Oval in New Zealand. She is the leading centurion for the White Ferns and second-highest overall after Australia’s Meg Lanning, who has 14 ODI centuries.

Suzie Bates scores her 11th ODI Century. PC: white_ferns / Instagram
Suzie Bates scores her 11th ODI Century. PC: white_ferns / Instagram

Bates, who opened the batting in the first ODI registered her second century against India after being dropped on 14 by Rajeshwari Gayakwad at point off Pooja Vastrakar’s bowling. The veteran right-handed batter made the Indians pay a heavy price for that dropped catch as she went on to score a delectable 106 off 111 balls, peppering the boundary rope 10 times.

Out of the 11 centuries that Bates has scored over her illustrious career spanning across 16 years, she has three centuries against her Trans-Tasmanian rival Australia, two each against India and West Indies, one each against England, Ireland, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. Year-wise, Bates scored two centuries each in 2013 and 2018 and one each in 2007, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2022.

In terms of boundaries and sixes scored in her 100+ knocks, she plundered 24 boundaries and two sixes against Ireland during her entertaining innings of 151 off just 94 balls in Dublin on June 8, 2018. With respect to the venues for her 11 centuries, she has enjoyed batting at home, where she has smashed four centuries. She registered two centuries each in Australia and India, with one century each in England, Ireland and West Indies. Interestingly, only four out of her 11-century innings were embellished with sixes.

As an opener, she has mustered 10 centuries and a solitary century came in batting at number three. Her highest ODI score has come against Pakistan, during which she muscled 168 runs off 105 balls, hammering 19 boundaries and half a dozen sixes. She achieved this feat on March 19, 2009, during the ICC Women’s World Cup in Australia.

Also Read:  Stafanie Taylor and Suzie Bates backs T20I for improving women's cricket

New Zealand’s prolific run-getter, Suzie Bates, has so far, featured in 131 ODIs, mustered 4711 runs, including 11 centuries and 27 half-centuries, at a stellar average of 41.69. With the ICC Women’s World Cup just a stone’s throw away, the White Ferns, who will be hosting the World Cup after 22 years will want this veteran to score tons of runs.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here