Suzie Bates’ Century guides New Zealand to 62 Run Victory in 1st ODI

The first ODI of the five-match series between India and New Zealand was played on February 12 at the John Davies Oval in Queenstown.

Toss

India won the toss and elected to field first.

Playing XI

India: Mithali Raj (c), Harmanpreet Kaur, Deepti Sharma, Richa Ghosh, Shafali Verma, Yastika Bhatia, Sabbhineni Meghana, Pooja Vastrakar, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Jhulan Goswami, Poonam Yadav

New Zealand: Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Amelia Kerr, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Katey Martin, Amy Satterthwaite, Hayley Jensen, Lea Tahuhu, Jess Kerr, Hannah Rowe

Suzie Bates' Century guides New Zealand to 62 Run Victory in 1st ODI. PC: ICC
Suzie Bates’ Century guides New Zealand to 62 Run Victory in 1st ODI. PC: ICC

First innings: New Zealand 275 all out in 48.1 overs

Put in to bat first, the White Ferns posted a challenging score of 275 in 48.1 overs, as they were bowled out inside 50 overs. Opening batter Suzie Bates was dropped on 14 by Rajeshwari Gayakwad at point off Pooja Vastrakar’s bowling and she made the Indians pay a heavy price as she muscled 106 runs off 111 balls, registering her 11th ODI century and second against India. Amy Satterthwaite (63 runs off 67 balls) scored a classic half-century with Amelia Kerr making a useful 33 off 39 balls. With the ball, the pace duo of Jhulan Goswami and Pooja Vastrakar as well as the spin twins in Deepti Sharma and Rajeshwari Gayakwad scalped two wickets apiece. Leg spinner Poonam Yadav accounted for a solitary wicket. Though the Indians bowled well and pulled things back in the last 10-15 overs, fielding was ordinary, apart from than one run out by Pooja Vastrakar and a couple of saves by Sabbineni Meghana. New Zealand lost last eight wickets for just 71 runs.

Also Read:  "Of course, we are missing Smriti Mandhana”, says Skipper Mithali Raj

Second innings: India 213 all out in 49.4 overs

India fought hard, however, failed to chase down the target as they fell short of 62 runs. After the new opening pair of Shafali Verma and Sabbineni Meghana failed to provide a solid start to the chase, captain Mithali Raj top scored with 59 runs off 73 balls. Raj partnered with Yastika Bhatia (41 runs 63 balls) to give some hope to India.

Yastika Bhatia in action during 1st ODI against New Zealand. PC: ICC/Twitter
Yastika Bhatia in action during 1st ODI against New Zealand. PC: ICC/Twitter

Harmanpreet Kaur being out of form for quite some time in international cricket is a cause of concern for India. Richa Ghosh and Pooja Vastrakar played their parts lower down the order however it was too big an ask by then. For New Zealand Jess Kerr wreaked havoc with 4-35 in 9.4 overs, including two maiden overs. Hayley Jensen chipped in with a couple of wickets.

Player of the Match

New Zealand’s Suzie Bates won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right-handed batter scored 106 runs off 111 balls.

Brief Scores

New Zealand 275 all out in 48.1 overs (S Bates 106; R Gayakwad 2-28) beat India 213 all out in 49.4 overs (M Raj 59; J Kerr 4-35) by 62 runs

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  "Smriti and Harmanpreet are two of the most dangerous batters," says Ellyse Perry
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here