3rd ODI – Jhulan Goswami guides India to a thrilling Victory, breaks Australia’s Winning Streak

The third ODI between India and Australia that was played on Sunday at the Harrup Park in Mackay produced yet another exciting contest between the two teams as the match went all the way down to the last over.

Jhulan Goswami leads India to a Victory in 3rd ODI vs Australia
Jhulan Goswami leads India to a Victory in 3rd ODI vs Australia

Chasing 265, India needed four runs to get off the last over with two wickets in hand. The only respite for the Women in Blue was that there was Jhulan Goswami in the middle and the veteran did not disappoint her teammates and India fans as she smashed the winning runs guiding India to a two-wicket win with three balls to spare.

Having come terribly close to winning the second ODI, Mithali Raj and co. were pumped up in the third ODI to seek redemption. With the win in the third ODI, India ended the 26-match unbeaten streak of Australia in ODIs. Having asked to chase 265, which would have been India’s highest successful run chase, India put up a strong fight all through their batting innings and finally emerged victorious. Jhulan Goswami was awarded as the player of the match for her stellar performance with both bat and ball. She picked up 3-37 in her 10 overs, including the key wickets of Rachael Haynes, Meg Lanning and Annabel Sutherland. Thanks to her brilliant bowling effort, Australia were struggling at 62-3 in 17.1 overs. The right arm speedster, who has now featured in 32 matches for India against Australia has picked up a total of 30 wickets.

With the bat, the 38-year old scored an unbeaten 8, including a boundary, to see her side home. Stepping down the wicket to left arm spinner Sophie Molineux, who was bowling with a bandage on to cover the cuts on her lips, Goswami hit one over the bowler’s head to take India to 266-8 in 49.3 overs.

Also Read:  Twitter hails Smriti Mandhana on her Maiden Test Century: Here's how Twitter Reacted

Australia have won the three match ODI series 2-1, but the multi-format affair is still wide open. India, after being at the receiving end of two defeats, finally arrived with a win in the third ODI to pocket the two important points. Australia lead the multi-format series with 4 points to India’s 2. With one Test and three T20Is to be played in the upcoming days, both the teams are arguably equally poised to win the multi-format series.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here