Harmanpreet Kaur ruled out of 1st ODI against Australia due to Thumb Injury

In unfortunate news shared by Head Coach Ramesh Powar, Vice-Captain of the Indian Women’s Cricket team Harmanpreet Kaur has been ruled out of the 1st ODI to be played on 21st September, owing to a thumb injury.

Harmanpreet Kaur
Harmanpreet Kaur. Pic Credits: Getty Images

In a virtual press conference, Ramesh Powar broke the news about Harman’s injury and the way forward for the Indian women’s cricket team.

“Harmanpreet Kaur was deemed fit and hence she was selected for this tour, but unfortunately some days back she got a hit on the thumb so she is not available for the first ODI. The next ODI, we will take a call according to her pain and fitness Health management. Shikha Pandey is fit and fine, she is available for selection,” said Powar during a virtual press conference.

“As a batting unit, we want to score above 250 consistently. Bowling we are trying to bowl out the opponents so we are trying to use Jhulan upfront so that she can give us breakthroughs. We expect the senior players to guide youngsters which they are doing,” he added.

Talking about the quarantine period, Mithali said: “The two-week quarantine period was tough on our players because it was for two weeks, we did a week in England but this was stretched another week. But we did have a few weights in the room so we were able to follow the training routine given by the trainer and we have also had some Zoom meetings with the support staff and there were a couple of team bonding sessions so that kept the difficult period a little easier on the players, but having said that, it is indeed difficult for the players.”

Also Read:  Twitter hails Smriti Mandhana on her Maiden Test Century: Here's how Twitter Reacted

“We definitely are looking at the composition before the World Cup and we will be giving our players a little more game time to fit in those roles. That is our objective in this series. I have not set any benchmarks for myself in this series, I have always felt that however I am playing, at the end of the day, my performance has to help the team to do well. If we end up winning, that is what I have always played for,” she added

It would be interesting to see who gets a chance to replace Harman’s spot in the 1st ODI tomorrow. Who do you think? Cast your vote here:

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here