Final – Vanitha VR’s quick-fire 77 powers Kini RR to Inaugural Title at India Nippon Cup

The final match of the T20 India Nippon Cup was played between Kini RR Sports and Heron Sports at Samprasiddhi Sports Estadio, Bangalore, on January 12, in the afternoon.

Vanitha VR. PC: Falcon Sports Club / Facebook
Vanitha VR awarded Player of the Match for her 77 Runs in just 49 Balls. PC: Falcon Sports Club / Facebook

Divya Gnananand, captain of Heron Sports, won the toss and elected to field first. Riding on a classic knock of 77 that came from just 49 deliveries, opening bat Vellaswamy Vanitha had a lion’s share in Kini RR Sports’ total of 132-8 in 20 overs. Vanitha smacked 11 boundaries and three sixes in her innings. Apart from her, there were not too many contributions with the bat. Vanitha’s opening partner Roshni Kiran fought hard for 29-ball 16. The duo stitched an 84-run partnership in 11.3 overs. Kini RR Sports would have loved to score more than 150 considering the stellar start that they got, but things just fell apart after Vanitha’s departure. For Heron Sports, Pushpa Kiresur was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-20 in her three overs. Anagha Murali and Asha Joy also chipped in with a couple of wickets apiece.

In reply, Heron Sports were done and dusted for a paltry 92 in 19.4 overs, losing the match by 40 runs. Apart from Heron Sports’ skipper Divya Gnananand (37) none of the other batters looked in shape. The batting line-up collapsed like a pack of cards. Chasing a respectable 139 in a final requires nerves of steel and perhaps Heron Sports’ batters failed to hold on to their nerves. On the other hand, Kini RR Sports’ bowlers came out strong and defended the target well. Radha Yadav and Debasmita Dutta were the star performers with the ball for Kini RR Sports as the duo accounted for three wickets each. Rameshwari Gayakwad and Challuru Prathyusha too struck with one wicket apiece. There were two unfortunate run-outs in Heron Sports’ batting innings.

Also Read:  Match 1: Divya Gnananada's gutsy half-century in vain as Ameya Sports clinch their first Win

To Watch Complete Match on YouTube, Click here

Kini RR Sports’ Vellaswamy Vanitha won the Player of the Match award for her match-winning knock of 77 off 49 balls.

Brief Scores: Kini RR Sports 132-8 in 20 overs (V Vanitha 77, R Kiran 16; P Kiresur 3-20, A Murali 2-14, A Joy 2-16) beat Heron Sports 92 all out in 19.4 overs (D Gnananand 37; A Soni 16; R Yadav 3-13, D Dutta 3-14) by 40 runs

For more such latest news around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here