3rd place play-off: England v New Zealand Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

The third-place play-off women’s T20I match of the 2022 Commonwealth Games will be played between England and New Zealand on August 7 at Edgbaston in Birmingham. The match will start at 2.30 PM IST.

In the semi-finals, while England lost to India by four runs, New Zealand suffered defeat at the hands of Australia by five wickets. The winner of this match will win the bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games.

3rd place play-off: England v New Zealand Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Squads

England: Heather Knight (c), Maia Bouchier, Katherine Brunt, Alice Capsey, Kate Cross, Freya Davies, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Nat Sciver, Bryony Smith, Issy Wong, Danni Wyatt

New Zealand: Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Eden Carson, Izzy Gaze, Claudia Green, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Hayley Jensen, Fran Jonas, Amelia Kerr, Rosemary Mair, Jess McFadyen, Georgia Plimmer, Hannah Rowe, Lea Tahuhu 

Last 5 performances

While England have won four out of their last five matches, New Zealand, on the other hand, have won two and lost three. 

Head-to-Head

England and New Zealand have played 29 T20Is against each other, out of which England have won 23 and New Zealand have won six.

Players to watch

Alice Capsey: 

This right-handed top order batter of England has been the leading run-getter for her side. She has mustered 130 runs in four matches, including one half-century. She has a healthy strike rate of 119. Though she is just 17, she has shown a lot of maturity in her batting.

Sophie Ecclestone: 

The wily left arm spinner from England is the joint most successful bowler for her side along with Katherine Brunt in this competition. She has claimed five wickets in four matches, including the best of 25/3. She has bowled at an economy rate of over just over five and a half runs per over.

Also Read:  Summary: Match 7 - Centurion Heather Knight & Sciver shine in England’s 98-run thumping win over Thailand

Katherine Brunt: 

The right arm pace sensation from England has scalped five wickets in four matches. The opening bowler has an economy rate of just under four and a half runs per over. Apart from her bowling, she is more than a handy lower order batter. She has a best of 38 not out in this tournament.

Sophie Devine:

The captain of New Zealand is a genuine all-rounder, who is a right-handed opening batter and a right arm medium pace bowler. In this tournament, she has muscled 126 runs in four matches and with the ball, she has scalped four wickets in as many innings.

Suzie Bates: 

This vastly experienced right-handed opening batter of New Zealand is the second highest run scorer in this tournament. She has mustered 131 runs in four matches, including the best of 91 not out. Her role will be to give a good start to her team with the bat.

Amelia Kerr: 

This talented all-rounder from New Zealand is a right-handed top order batter and a right arm leg spinner. With the bat, she has registered 70 runs, including the best of 40, while with the ball has pocketed four wickets. Though her numbers may not speak volumes about her potential, she will be itching to have a go against England in the bronze medal match.

Pitch

This will be just the third match played at this venue. The average first innings score is 154 and the average second innings score is 153. The wicket is expected to be batting friendly. A high scoring game is on the cards. On the other hand, among the bowlers, the spinners could play a key role.

Also Read:  Scotland Women’s Cricket Team are off to Malaysia for Commonwealth Qualifiers

Weather

The weather is expected to be pleasant with sunshine and some clouds. The maximum temperature forecast is 24 degrees Celsius. There will be 37 percent cloud cover and just four percent chance of rain. The wind will blow from the north-west.

Fantasy Playing XI

Amy Jones, Suzie Bates, Alica Capsey, Danielle Wyatt, Sophie Devine, Freya Kemp, Amelia Kerr, Natalie Sciver, Hayley Jensen, Sophie Ecclestone, Katherine Brunt

Upcoming Milestones

Amelia Kerr is just 5 wickets away from completing 50 T20I wickets. She will become the 5th player from New Zealand to do so in women’s T20Is.

Match details

Date: August 7, 2022

Time: 2.30PM IST

Venue: Edgbaston, Birmingham

Live streaming: Sony LIV app, Sony Sports Network

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here