Why will Marizaane Kapp and Tumi Sekhukhune miss T20I series against England?

In South Africa’s ongoing multi-format tour of England, a drawn Test at Taunton saw both teams share a couple of points each and the ODI series whitewash had England lead the all-format series 8-2. South Africa had to win the final leg, the 3-match T20I series 3-0 to draw level, but having failed to win the opening game England has sealed the multi-format series 10-2 with a couple more games to go.

Marizanne Kapp. PC: Getty Images
Marizanne Kapp. PC: Getty Images

The bigger news than that was of Marizaane Kapp and Tumi Sekhukhune who missed the opening T2OI and are set to miss the remainder of the series, the couple T20I left. They also might miss the Commonwealth Games that get underway later this month. An underperforming South African unit wouldn’t have wished for this script, but it’s a sad reality to have come 7-8 days before the start of the Games. 23-year-old, Tumi Sekhukhune experienced discomfort during the warm-ups ahead of the third and final One-Day International (ODI) and after being assessed by the medical staff, it is learnt that she will be sent home to begin her rehabilitation.

Marizaane Kapp the star all-around will be missing the T20I games and possibly the Commonwealth Games as well which has come as a huge blow to South Africa. Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) statement didn’t disclose a lot on Marizanne Kapp’s sudden pull out having stated family reasons and “Kapp has requested to travel back home to be close to her family during this trying time.”

Early today, Marizaane Kapp’s wife and teammate Dane van Niekerk took to her social media to clear the air around Marizaane Kapp’s sudden pull out stating, “Without trying to go too much into detail, we have been rocked with an accident and our beloved brother in law is in ICU at the moment with burn wounds to his hand and face. It has been INCREDIBLY traumatic for Marizaane’s youngest sister (his wife) and his/our whole family. People who question Marizaane Kapp’s commitment to the team, should understand that family comes first, ALWAYS. She played (a test and ODIs) through her nephew being ill and her niece being very ill as well. Have some empathy or just some sympathy.. She/We as players are only human. Please remember that.”

For now, CSA has announced an experienced, top-order batter in Tazmin Brits who is currently in the United Kingdom as a replacement for the couple remaining T20I games. Tazmin Brits last played a game for South Africa in their recent series against Ireland before touring England. A string of low scores denied her a place in the squad against England, but now is in as a replacement player and stands a chance to redeem herself.

Also Read:  Delhi Capitals thrash UP Warriorz by 9 Wickets, Shafali Verma and Meg Lanning complete fifty

With both Tumi Sekhukhune and Marizaane Kapp likely to remain unavailable for the Games, it is a big double blow to South Africa, who already were coping up with the sudden retirement of Lizelle Lee. The Commonwealth Games squad is soon expected to be finalized and released after talks between the South African team and the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC).

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here