South Africa announced 21-member provisional squad for Commonwealth Games

Cricket South Africa announced a 21-member provisional squad for the upcoming Commonwealth Games to be played in Birmingham from July 29 to August 7. South Africa are placed in Group B alongside Sri Lanka, England and New Zealand. Just prior to the Commonwealth Games, South Africa will play a three-match T20I series from July 21 to July 25 against England in England as a part of the multi-format series. The said T20I series will help South Africa in their preparations for the Commonwealth Games. 

Provisional Squad:

Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits, Trisha Chetty, Nadine de Klerk, Lara Goodall, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Lizelle Lee, Sune Luus, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Tumi Sekhukhune, Shabnim Ismail, Chloe Tryon, Mignon du Preez, Dane van Niekerk, Laura Wolvaardt, Andrie Steyn, Raisibe Ntozakhe, Delmari Tucker

Squad Profile

Anneke Bosch: She is a batting all-rounder, who has featured in nine T20Is since her international debut in 2016. She is a right-handed batter and a right arm seamer. She has scored 197 runs in eight innings, including one half-century and accounted for six wickets in seven innings. She has also played for Brisbane Heat in the WBBL.

Tazmin Brits: She is a right-handed top order batter who made her international debut for South Africa in 2021. Since then, she has played 23 T20Is. She has muscled 425 runs, including three half-centuries. She can open the batting as well as bat at number three.

Trisha Chetty: She is a wicketkeeper and a right-handed batter. With 82 T20Is under her belt, she is one of the most experienced players in the side. She has registered more than 1000 T20I runs across 72 innings, including three half-centuries. Behind the stumps, she has claimed 70 dismissals.

Nadine de Klerk: She is an all-rounder, who is a right-handed batter and a right arm medium pace bowler. In her 26 T20Is so far, she has registered 265 runs in 20 innings, including the best of 37 not out. With the ball, she has24 wickets in 18 innings.

Lara Goodall: She is a left-handed top order bat, having featured in 16 T20Is for South Africa since her debut in 2016. She has scored 229 runs in 13 innings at a strike rate of more than 100. She also has one half-century to her name.

Sinalo Jafta: She is a wicket-keeper and a right-handed batter. She has featured in 12 T20Is for South Africa since her debut in the format in 2019. She has batted in just the four innings and scored 42 runs at a strike rate of 140. Behind the stumps, she has accounted for nine dismissals.

Also Read:  Hayley Matthews to lead Barbados in Commonwealth Games

Marizanne Kapp: She is one of the best all-rounders in the world of women’s cricket. She is a right-handed middle order batter and a right arm seamer. She has more than 1000 runs in 71 T20I innings and 66 wickets in 73 innings.

Ayabonga Khaka: She is a right arm seamer who can bowl well with the new ball as well as in the middle overs. She is consistent with her lines and lengths and is an economical bowler. She has accounted for 33 wickets in 37 T20Is, including one four-wicket haul.

Masabata Klaas: This right arm speedster has been playing international cricket for South Africa since 2010. She has featured in 43 T20Is and picked up 22 wickets in 39 innings, including the best of 2-17. She is a good bowler in the middle overs.

Lizelle Lee: She is an attacking right-handed opening batter with a strike rate of more than 110 in 82 T20Is that she has played. She has smashed 1896 runs, including 13 half-centuries and a century. Apart from her prolific batting ability, she can also keep wickets.

Sune Luus: The all-rounder has featured in 86 T20Is since her international debut in 2012. The right-handed batter has scored 889 runs in 60 innings, including four half-centuries and has claimed 48 wickets in 64 innings, bowling leg spin. She has a couple of five-wicket hauls and one four-wicket haul in T20Is.

Nonkululeko Mlaba: She is a left arm spinner, who made her international debut in 2019. She has featured in 18 T20Is so far. She has accounted for 10 wickets in 17 innings, including the best of 2-15. She can also open the bowling.

Tumi Sekhukhune: She is a right arm seamer, who has played 24 T20Is for South Africa since her debut in 2018. She has picked up 24 wickets in as many matches, including the best of 3-20. She is known for her consistency with lines and lengths and can control the middle passage of play.

Shabnim Ismail: She is the bowling spearhead of South Africa. The right arm speedster is one of the best in the business. With 112 wickets in 99 T20I innings, she is the leading wicket-taker of South Africa in the shortest format and third highest overall. A good new ball bowler, she has lethal bouncers in her repertoire.

Also Read:  Preview: Match 4 – Malaysia vs Scotland Women | Fantasy Playing XI | Players to Watch | Squad

Chloe Tryon: She is a hard hitting right-handed middle order bat and is one of the best finishers in the team. She has played 71 T20Is. She has muscled 792 runs in 57 innings at a strike rate of 138. Apart from her batting, she is more than a handy left arm spinner and has 20 wickets in 42 innings to her name. She is an excellent fielder too.

Mignon du Preez:  She is one of the senior-most members of the South African side. She is a right- handed batter, who has played 108 T20Is and scored 1750 runs in 99 innings, including seven half-centuries.

Dane van Niekerk: The captain of South Africa is one of the leading all-rounders in the world. She has featured in 86 T20Is and hammered 1877 runs in 77 innings, including 10 half-centuries. With the ball, she has accounted for 65 wickets in 82 innings, including one four wicket-haul, bowling leg spin.

Laura Wolvaardt: The right-handed opening batter has played 36 T20Is since her international debut in 2016. She has mustered 618 runs in 34 innings, including three half-centuries. She has been one of the most prolific batters for South Africa in recent times.

Andrie Steyn: She is a right-handed opening batter, who made her international debut in 2014. Since then, she has played five T20Is for South Africa. She has scored 42 runs in three innings, including the best of 35.

Raisibe Ntozakhe: She is a right arm off spinner, who has featured in 12 T20Is since her T20I debut in 2018. She has accounted for three wickets in 11 innings and bowls at an economy rate of 8.10 runs per over.

Delmari Tucker: She is an all-rounder, who is a right-handed batter and a right arm off spinner. In the recent domestic season in South Africa, playing for the Western Province, she hit 409 runs and scalped 15 wickets. She has also represented the South Africa Emerging team in the past.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here