“I am just enjoying playing cricket”, says Meg Lanning

As she considers the next chapter of her cricket career, Meg Lanning has disclosed that she is still getting used to her retirement from international cricket.

"I am just enjoying playing cricket", says Meg Lanning
“I am just enjoying playing cricket”, says Meg Lanning

When the former captain of Australia decided to retire from international cricket at the end of the previous season, many were taken aback. As she navigates this new stage in her life, the 31-year-old has since made sporadic appearances in domestic contests in Australia and India. Lanning is currently in India, where she is playing in the Women’s Premier League (WPL) as the captain of the Delhi Capitals.

Lanning, who is renowned for her exceptional batting order outings, has been in excellent form for the Capitals. She amassed 146 runs at an amazing strike rate of 117.46 in the event, including two half-centuries in four innings. With three victories in four games, her services have vaulted the Capitals to the top of the WPL standings. Lanning emphasized the supportive team atmosphere and that she enjoyed playing with former Australia teammates Jess Jonassen and Annabel Sutherland.

Lanning said, “I am just enjoying playing cricket.” “I am enjoying myself immensely here in Delhi; we have an excellent group of players and staff that create a great atmosphere.” There seems to be a slight decrease in expectations and pressure. I simply want to contribute to the game and aid in the team’s victory.”

Lanning isn’t playing for Australia in the forthcoming ICC Women’s T20 World Cup, but she isn’t letting her future plans distract her from her present obligations. Although she admitted that she hasn’t had much time to look into other prospects, she intends to take her time when the WPL ends. Lanning is weighing her alternatives and values and has the freedom to make a decision when the appropriate moment comes.

Also Read:  Is the WPL ready to expand beyond 5 teams?

As the tournament progresses, it will be interesting to see how Lanning’s post-retirement journey unfolds, and what paths she chooses to explore in the cricketing world and beyond.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here