When was the first ever Day-Night Pink Ball Test match played in Women’s Cricket?

India and Australia are all set to play the historic pink-ball Test that will kick start from September 30 at the Carrara Oval, Queensland. This will be India’s first day/night Test, while Australia will be playing their second. Australia played the first pink-ball Test against England in 2017 in Sydney during the women’s Ashes. Before the second-ever pink ball Test is played in women’s cricket, let us look at how the first pink-ball Test between Australia and England unfolded.

Ellyse Perry
Ellyse Perry

Which team played the first-ever Pink-Ball Test in Women’s Cricket?

Australia and England played the first-ever pink-ball Test in women’s cricket between November 9 and November 12, 2017, at the North Sydney Oval. Though the match ended in a draw, it garnered a lot of attention from fans, former cricketers, and experts across the board.

There were three players, namely, Amanda-Jade Wellington, Beth Mooney, and Tahlia McGrath making their debut for Australia, while England had Fran Wilson and Sophie Ecclestone playing their first Test match.

Winning the toss and electing to bat first, England were all out for 280 in 116 overs. Opening bat Tammy Beaumont top-scored with 70 and found an able ally in skipper Heather Knight who chipped in with 62. Apart from Beaumont and Knight, there were no major contributions with the bat from England in the first innings. While Australia with the ball were brilliant as all the five bowlers used were able to pick up wickets. Ellyse Perry was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-59 in 21 overs.

Also Read:  What are the odds of Australia taking home the Women's World Cup 2022 Trophy?

In reply, Australia plundered a mammoth 448-9 in 166 overs, riding on a scintillating double century from Perry. Coming in at number 4, the right-hand bat smashed an unbeaten 213, including 27 boundaries and a solitary six. Australia took a useful lead of 168 runs and asked England to bat again.

In their second innings, England looked more solid with the bat compared to their performance in the first innings. At the end of the play, England mustered 206-2 in 105 overs, thanks to Knight’s unbeaten 79. Tahlia McGrath and Amanda Jade Wellington picked up one wicket apiece.

Australia’s Ellyse Perry was awarded as the player of the match for her stellar performances with both, bat and ball.

Detailed scorecard of the 1st pink-ball Test in women’s cricket

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here