“We feel we have a very strong top order”, says Jon Lewis

In the showdown between UP Warriorz and Delhi Capitals in the ongoing 02 edition of the Women’s Premier League (WPL), the Delhi Capitals registered their first victory of the season with a commanding and effortless chase of 120 runs target set by UP Warriorz.

Alyssa Healy. PC: WPL
Alyssa Healy. PC: WPL

Opting to field first, Delhi Capitals bowlers led by Marizanne Kapp and Radha Yadav restricted UP Warriorz to a total of 119/9. Despite a valiant effort from Shweta Sehrawat who top-scored with a vital 45 runs off 42 balls, UP Warriorz couldn’t manage to build any significant partnerships.

Delhi Capitals’ openers Shafali Verma and Meg Lanning displayed their batting prowess as they both notched up impressive half-centuries during the chase. Though Sophie Ecclestone managed a late breakthrough, Jemimah Rodrigues guided Delhi Capitals to victory. Marizanne Kapp’s exceptional bowling performance earned her the Player of the Match title securing Delhi Capitals’ maiden win of the season.

Post-match, the UP Warriorz head coach, Jon Lewis, and Marizanne Kapp, all-rounder, Delhi Capitals addressed a press conference at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru.

Jon Lewis, head coach of UP Warriorz highlighted a concern with the team’s batting performance in the recent games. The Warriorz fell short by 2 runs in their first game against Royal Challengers Banglore and couldn’t manage to build any significant partnership in the next match against Delhi Capitals.

Specifically, he desires more runs from the top order, emphasizing the team’s belief in its strength at the top. However, he acknowledges that the batting unit is not performing up to its potential at the moment, indicating a need for improvement in order to maximize the team’s overall batting prowess.

Also Read:  Who is Shabnam Shakil | Bio | Stats | Gujarat Giants Player

Quoting Jon, “I think, I suppose our batting overall in the two games that we’ve played, we’d like, more runs from top order in particular. We feel we have a very strong top order. We’re just not quite firing at the moment.”

Jon Lewis is contemplating the composition of the team’s top order before the upcoming match against Mumbai Indians on 28 February 2024, putting thoughtful consideration in the next couple of days. He emphasizes the success of the three players who batted at the top last year, suggesting a commitment to sticking with them.

He stated, “Well have a think about that over the next couple of days before the Mumbai game. You know it’s the three players that, batten our top order did really well for us last year and I think it’s only right that we stick to those players, obviously. I feel like I’m, in a really fortunate position that I’ve got lots of really good players on the bench. Chamari and Danny Wyatt, two excellent players.”

The player of the match, Marizanne Kapp reflects on her recent performance, indicating a deliberate focus on honing her ability to hit a natural back-of-a-length delivery. Her dedication to this aspect of her game has yielded positive results in the matches recently. Kapp’s acknowledgment of the effectiveness of her strategy highlights the importance of refining specific skills in cricket, demonstrating how efforts in training can convert into success on the field.

She stated, “I have been working on just hitting my natural back of a length and it seemed to work out there.”

Also Read:  RCB records fastest run-chase in Women's Premier League

Marizanne Kapp sheds light on her preferred bowling strategy, expressing comfort and proficiency when delivering with the new ball. Whether in international cricket or various leagues, she emphasizes the team’s effort to provide her with ample opportunities to bowl in the early stages. Kapp believes in the effectiveness of maintaining an attacking approach, particularly when the team has taken one or two wickets.

She credits the team’s strong set of death bowlers for allowing her to focus on the new ball, showcasing a strategic balance in utilizing bowlers based on their strengths at different phases of the game.

She mentioned, “It’s always been whenever I’ve been playing, whether it’s international cricket or in leagues, I’m probably better off bowling with the new ball. So we always look to give me as much overs with new ball, especially when it’s going well.

“I feel like with these teams especially, you wanna keep on attacking, especially if you have one or two wickets down. So, its a plan. We have some pretty good death bowlers, so that allows me to bowl upfront more with the new ball.”

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here