“I think Yastika is an ideal batter for No 3 slot” – Diana Edulji

India’s 15-member squad for the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup, starting October 3 in the UAE, is poised for a strong performance. After close outcomes in recent knockouts, including a narrow 5-run defeat to Australia at the 2023 World Cup in South Africa, the team is hungry for redemption. Their best World Cup finish was as runners-up in 2020, and this year they face tough competition in Group A, which includes Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.

I think Yastika is an ideal batter for No 3 slot - Diana Edulji. PC: Getty
I think Yastika is an ideal batter for No 3 slot – Diana Edulji. PC: Getty

Former Indian captain Diana Edulji, who excelled in her career with 63 wickets and 404 runs in 20 Tests and 46 scalps in 34 ODIs, believes this could be the year for the Indian women’s team to break their title drought and claim their maiden ICC Women’s T20 World Cup trophy. With a lineup full of experienced players, Edulji feels confident about their chances in the tournament. India begins their campaign on October 4 against New Zealand, followed by matches against Pakistan on October 6, Sri Lanka on October 9, and Australia on October 13.

The core of the Indian team consists of seasoned players like captain Harmanpreet Kaur, vice-captain Smriti Mandhana, explosive opener Shafali Verma, middle-order batter Jemimah Rodrigues, and all-rounder Deepti Sharma. These players have competed in multiple T20 and ODI World Cups, bringing a wealth of experience to the squad. Additionally, Pooja Vastrakar, Yastika Bhatia, Renuka Singh, and wicketkeeper-batter Richa Ghosh also add valuable international exposure to the team.

Sitting beside the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Trophy at Wankhede Stadium on Friday, Edulji expressed her high expectations for the team. She remarked, “That (winning the T20 World Cup) has to be the aim for every Indian player. It’s (UAE) a good venue to have, and I’m sure the girls are experienced enough. They should come back with it (the title).”

Also Read:  2nd ODI: England v India Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Edulji emphasized the importance of using the team’s experience to their advantage in the tournament. “The expectations of everybody, including me, are for the team to come back (from the UAE) with the trophy. We have the experience. We have the players who are capable of doing it. Many have played three World Cups, or more than that, so I think that their experience should count. The coaching staff, the support staff are also very good.”

Despite India’s experienced squad, every match in the tournament will pose its own challenges. Edulji noted that, as seen in the 2023 Asia Cup final, where Sri Lanka’s Chamari Athapaththu and Harshitha Samarawickrama led an unexpected eight-wicket win over India, the outcome often depends on how well players control themselves in key moments. “As we saw in the Asia Cup, the left-handed batter came, and nobody expected her to score the winning shots and hit sixes. So, it’s just about how you control yourself during that time. Don’t panic, the players should keep their cool.”

According to Edulji, Harmanpreet Kaur’s leadership will be pivotal in India’s quest to win the trophy. She advised the captain to maintain composure in high-pressure situations, saying, “She is a very good player who can win the game on her own. She has proved it time and again. But she will have to lead with a strong hand and control her emotions a little bit on the field. She is capable of making the right changes — right bowling changes, right field placements.”

Also Read:  "There definitely would've been bigger crowds in Bangladesh," Heather Knight concerned about low crowd attendance in UAE

While batting performance is outside Harmanpreet’s direct control, Edulji praised the contributions of head coach Amol Muzumdar and urged the team to focus on playing cohesively. “Amol has spent a good time with the team now. They have to see to it that they play as a team.”

India’s journey to the World Cup has been marked by key performances and strategic experiments, particularly in the batting order. Jemimah Rodrigues initially occupied the No. 3 spot during the T20I series against six-time champions Australia earlier in the year. Yastika Bhatia, Dayalan Hemalatha, and Sajeevan Sajana later shared the role during the series against Bangladesh, South Africa, and the Asia Cup 2024.

Edulji highlighted Yastika Bhatia, who has returned from injury and passed her fitness test, as a prime candidate for the No. 3 position in the World Cup. “There is experience in Harmanpreet and Smriti. It’s good that Yastika Bhatia and Shreyanka Patil (off-spinner) have come through their fitness tests. That’s a big boost for the team, and I think Yastika is an ideal batter for the No 3 slot,” she said.

As the tournament draws near, the Indian team is ready to put their skills to the test and aim for a historic triumph. With a well-balanced squad of experienced players and rising stars, India will be looking to overcome their past heartbreaks and finally lift the coveted ICC Women’s T20 World Cup.

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Belize Women’s National Cricket Team Namibia Women’s National Cricket Team Profile Mozambique Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket