“Age is just a number” – India’s Oldest T20I debutant Asha Sobhana eyes World Cup glory

With India announcing their squad for the upcoming Women’s T20 World Cup, Asha Sobhana, India’s oldest T20 debutant, has been named among the final 15 players.

Age is just a number - India's Oldest T20I debutant Asha Sobhana eyes World Cup glory. PC: Getty
Age is just a number – India’s Oldest T20I debutant Asha Sobhana eyes World Cup glory. PC: Getty

Asha Sobhana made headlines earlier this year when, at 33, she became the oldest woman to debut for India in national colors in May, against Bangladesh, since then she has played only three matches, claiming four wickets. The following month, she made her ODI debut against South Africa, where she took a four-wicket haul.

Now, just three months after, with the T20 World Cup approaching, the all-rounder leg-spinner has secured her place in the final squad of 15. With the tournament venue shifted to the UAE due to Bangladesh’s political crisis, the slow pitches in Dubai and Sharjah are expected to benefit Sobhana’s leg-spin, making her a valuable asset for the Indian team.

Asha represented the Cricket Association of Pondicherry in the 2023 Women’s One-Day Trophy. With the bat, she scored 225 runs in 7 innings, including 2 half-centuries, at a strike rate of 32.14. Additionally, she took 16 wickets in just 7 innings, which included a four-wicket haul and a five-wicket haul, maintaining an exceptional economy of 2.99 and an average of 11.62.

This performance earned her a spot in the inaugural WPL 2023, where she claimed 5 wickets in 5 innings. It was during the 2024 WPL season, however, that Asha Sobhana truly shone. Playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) since the inaugural season, she made an immediate impact with a five-wicket haul in her first match, ultimately contributing to RCB becoming champions and finishing the tournament with 12 wickets in 10 innings, this performance led her to maiden national call-up, ultimately debuting at 33.

Asha expressed her excitement and pride about being selected for this significant opportunity, noting that she discovered her selection through a notification from the BCCI app. She highlighted the importance of this achievement, acknowledging the hard work she has put in and expressing her determination to give her best for India, with the ultimate dream of winning the World Cup.

Also Read:  Final: Sri Lanka vs India | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

Asha mentioned, “Winning the World Cup is everyone’s dream. I want to do my best for my country whenever I get a chance.”

Debuting at the age of 33, Asha Sobhana has proven that age is just a number. She believes that age should not be a barrier to playing cricket as long as one loves the game. Drawing inspiration from Indian cricket legends like former captain Mithali Raj and bowling great Jhulan Goswami, Asha also cites men’s T20I captain Suryakumar Yadav, who debuted for India at 31 and recently contributed in the team to a T20 World Cup victory. By highlighting these examples, Sobhana emphasizes that success can be achieved at any stage of a career, reinforcing her belief that it’s never too late to make a significant impact in the sport.

Asha expresses, “We have the best example in our Indian women’s cricket team (referring to Mithali Raj and Jhulan Goswami). Our T20I captain Suryakumar Yadav also came in very late and the way he played and won the World Cup, these are the best examples to look up to.”

When asked about how she motivates herself daily, Sobhana emphasized the importance of perspective in a player’s approach to the game. Asha expresses a positive and determined mindset about her cricket career. Despite acknowledging that she reached this stage a bit later than others, she refuses to view herself as too old or needing to be overly cautious. Instead, she focuses on her identity as a cricketer and remains committed to giving her best effort as long as she continues to play.

Also Read:  "Let It Play Out and Trust the Work" - Annabel Sutherland is ready for T20 World Cup 2024

She mentions, “It’s all about the way you see things. Of course, I was a little late to come to this stage, but I don’t see myself as being too old or needing to be careful. I just remind myself that I am a cricketer and I have to do my best as long as I play cricket.”

Sobhana also praised senior players Indian skipper Harmanpreet Kaur and Indian Vice-Captain Smriti Mandhana for fostering a positive team environment. She highlighted their supportive nature, emphasizing that their leadership creates a welcoming atmosphere for new players joining the team. Sobhana suggests that their guidance and encouragement have made it easier for newcomers to integrate into the squad.

She said, “Both Harmanpreet Kaur and Smriti Mandhana, as captain and vice-captain, are great supporters of the players. So it was never a tough situation for whoever came new to the team.”

Sobhana is clear and determined about her goals for the tournament. She emphasizes a focused approach, taking it one match at a time, giving her best effort, and ultimately aiming to win the first-ever Women’s World Cup for India. Her statement reflects her commitment and ambition to achieve a historic victory for the team.

Asha expressed, “Go match by match, do your best, and win the first-ever Women’s World Cup for India.”

Due to political unrest in Bangladesh, the 2024 Women’s T20 World Cup has been moved to the United Arab Emirates. India will kick off their campaign in Group A against New Zealand on October 4, followed by a clash against Pakistan two days later. India will then play against Sri Lanka on October 9 and against the defending champions Australia on October 13. During the group stage, India will compete in three matches in Dubai and one in Sharjah.

(Quotes sourced from India.com)

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Sierra Leone Women’s National Cricket Team Belize Women’s National Cricket Team Namibia Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket