“I am disappointed for Jess myself,” says Alyssa Healy on Jess Jonassen’s omission

Australia has unveiled their squad for the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2024, which will be held in the UAE this October. The exclusion of Jess Jonassen, a seasoned player with over a decade of experience, has raised eyebrows across the cricketing world.

I am disappointed for Jess myself, says Alyssa Healy on Jess Jonassen's omission
I am disappointed for Jess myself, says Alyssa Healy on Jess Jonassen’s omission

Jonassen’s last appearance for Australia in T20Is was in October 2023 against the West Indies, where Australia faced a narrow defeat largely due to a stunning performance by Hayley Matthews. In that match, Jonassen gave away 34 runs from just 2 overs.

This marks the second major ICC tournament Jonassen has missed since her debut in January 2012, the first being the ICC ODI World Cup 2013 in India. Despite being left out of the squad that toured Bangladesh earlier this year, which featured spinners Ash Gardner, Georgia Wareham, Sophie Molineux, and Alana King, Jonassen’s track record speaks volumes. She has played 105 T20Is, claiming 96 wickets and scoring 438 runs.

Her recent domestic performances have been strong, highlighted by her stint in the WBBL 2023, where she was Brisbane Heat’s highest wicket-taker with 24 scalps. Additionally, she took 11 wickets in seven matches for Delhi Capitals in the WPL earlier this year and is currently showcasing her skills in the WCPL for Trinbago Knight Riders after an impressive Hundred campaign with 12 wickets and 176 runs for Welsh Fire.

Australia’s captain, Alyssa Healy, addressed Jonassen’s absence, emphasizing that her future with the team remains bright. “Hundred per cent, the path’s still there, the door is still wide open. You look at her career and how it’s progressed, particularly over the past five or six years, she’s been in the squad, out of the squad, her and Sophie Molineux have sort of [gone] tit-for-tat along the way. I’m disappointed for Jono myself.

Also Read:  Australia post mammoth 305 Runs against West Indies in Semi-Final

“I have played a lot of cricket with her over the years and know exactly what she can contribute to the Australian team in big tournaments and how clutch she can be. I still see a big future for her in the Aussie side, there’s always a niggle or whatnot around [during] the summer, and she’ll still be around this summer no doubt,” Healy stated.

The squad’s continuity suggests a period of transition for Australia, especially in light of the recent retirements of Meg Lanning and Rachael Haynes. Yet, with seasoned players like Healy, Gardner, Beth Mooney, Megan Schutt, and Ellyse Perry still in the mix, there is a strong foundation of experience to guide the younger talents.

The decision to stick with the same squad that played in the T20I series in Bangladesh earlier this year reflects Australia’s commitment to consistency, with the return of fit-again Darcie Brown only adding strength to their core. Originally, Bangladesh was set to host the World Cup, but political unrest led to the tournament being moved to the UAE.

Healy reflected on the changes within the squad, noting the significant loss of experience over the past 18 months, with over 700 games of international experience departing.

“It’s got to come at some point in time, [but] fortunately there’s still a few of us old birds still floating around who can hopefully impart some wisdom on how to win tournaments. Think the youth in our group is really exciting and hopefully we can just help mentor or lead them in the right direction because I think the youth in our squad is going to win this World Cup for us,” she remarked.

Also Read:  "I'm pretty sure Alyssa would've had conversations with her bowlers," says Hayley Matthews

A particularly exciting aspect of the squad is the potential fast-bowling duo of Tayla Vlaeminck and Darcie Brown.

Healy expressed her eagerness to see them in action together, saying, “I’d love to see it. We are so blessed with ample allrounders that I think we can play around a little bit with our fast-bowling attack. Think having those two in our side is a huge point of difference, especially in [the] conditions potentially we are going to get, having real pace in your side is a real advantage. We’ll have to wait and see what the make-ups of the side are, but it’s really exciting for the future that those two are in the squad together and hopefully we can get them firing at the same time.”

As Australia aims to secure their fourth consecutive T20 World Cup title, which would be a first for any team, men’s or women’s, this tournament could mark a crucial chapter in the team’s evolving legacy. While Jonassen’s omission is a significant talking point, the blend of experienced players and emerging talents signals Australia’s intent to maintain their dominance on the global stage.

(Quotes sourced from ESPN)

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Sierra Leone Women’s National Cricket Team Belize Women’s National Cricket Team Namibia Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket