Annabel Sutherland of Australia in the good books of selectors ahead of T20 World Cup

This T20 World cup many youngsters are getting chance to showcase their exciting talent, Last week, in the 50-over Women’s National Cricket League, the 18-year-old Annabel Sutherland who hails from Victoria and is an bowling all-rounder who smashed 37 runs off 43 balls in the first match against Western Australia and then surrendered the opponent with her bowling, grabbing 3 wickets for 21 runs. She topped that performance with 67 and 1/49, dominating international icons like Meg Lanning, Ellyse Perry, and Elyse Villani, who are also in her side.

Annabel Sutherland. Pic Credits: Cricket Australia
Annabel Sutherland. Pic Credits: Cricket Australia

She played for Melbourne stars in WBBL when she was just 15 years old and was youngest to feature in the tournament. Although she wasn’t fully available for this season’s WBBL due to her 12th Grade exams. Recently, the teenager impressed with the ball, while playing for Australia A during their series wins over India A in the 20-over and 50-over matches.

Sutherland’s consistent all-round performances in Australian domestic cricket has kept her in good books for selectors prior to the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020. Victoria captain Meg Lanning and Australia A coach Leah are convinced that it is only a matter of time before Sutherland makes her debut in international cricket.

“She played well through the Big Bash, she played well in the A-series and again she played well [for Victoria] … When you do well, you’re going to get spoken about [by selectors],” Lanning told cricket.com.au. “Being an all-rounder, that certainly helps her as well … as a young player, it’s good to see her doing well.”

Also Read:  Mother shares how Suzie Bates' shots in WBBL final inspired her son

Poulton also agrees that Sutherland’s name will definitely crop up in the selection meetings when the squad for the T20 World Cup is discussed. “Based on how she performed in this series and in the WBBL, I don’t think she’s far off,” said Poulton.

“It’s always tempting to have someone new in a World Cup because the opposition won’t know much about them, and we always try and say it doesn’t matter how old you are, if you’re good enough you should be playing.

Sutherland herself is not too bothered about the future and believes as long as she keeps working hard, the results will come. “I just like to stay in the present and keep on taking my opportunities when I get them. “I’ve got a little bit more time on my hands now, which is good. It’s a good opportunity to knuckle down and keep working hard. Any chance I get at training is another opportunity to learn off the girls.”

Source: ICC

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here