Alyssa Healy hopes to recreate the Mitchell Starc magic this year in Women’s T20 World Cup

Much anticipated and one of the most hyped women’s sporting events this year Women’s T20 World Cup is nearing its start. Australia being the defending champions and one of the top teams worldwide will try to grab the winning title once again. Australia has more star players than any other nation, players like Ellyse Perry, Alyssa Healy always stands out for the team when needed.

Mitchell Starc and Alyssa Healy. Pic Credits: ICC
Mitchell Starc and Alyssa Healy. Pic Credits: ICC

Alyssa Healy wants to recreate the magic in the world cup this year which her Husband Mitchell Starc did five years down the line in MCG. Mitchell Starc was named Man of the match in the title-clinching finale during 2015 in the finale against New Zealand and who better to take advice from in such a crucial ICC tournament.

Alyssa Healy on taking advice from her spouse- “I haven’t thought about that too much, but it’s probably good to chat with him about how they handled that,” Healy told AAP.

“I remember sitting at the MCG for that final against New Zealand and I’ve never heard a roar as big as when he bowled Brendon McCullum. “To be able to sit here and think about that same thing happening for us is unbelievably exciting and something I never thought I’d see throughout my career.”

Since 2018 Australia has been victorious in 8 out of 9 T20 games and looks more than prepared ahead of this crucial tournament. Healy justifies the role of a wicketkeeper-opener for her side and has contributed a major part in previous times, her role will be very important for the team. Playing for the NSW Breakers in a WNCL match on Thursday will represent Healy’s first game in any format since December 1.

Also Read:  Deandra Dottin heads the list of 21 players selected for pre-world-cup camp in Antigua

“It’s unheard of a cricketer to have a bit of time off in December,” Healy quipped. “It’s made me really excited to pick up the bat again.”

Healy revealed that Australia was comparatively in a tougher of the two World Cup pools, facing opponents like New Zealand and India has been a challenging task. Australia will inaugurate the ICC Tournament on February 21 against India at the Sydney Showground.

“India is going to be really hard to beat, they love Australian conditions,” Healy said. “They are going to be a real test for us upfront, it’s going to be a real measure of exactly how we’re traveling.”

She predicted it would be a very open tournament. “Traditionally we’ve seen England Australia, India, and New Zealand be the really strong sides in women’s cricket, but T20 is a whole different thing,” Healy said.

“It brings everyone a lot closer and you throw in the likes of West Indies and South Africa as well, that is really good in that short format.”

Source: Fox Sports

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here