Team Bangladesh: Strengths and Weaknesses – ICC Women’s World T20 2020

There is seldom any doubt that Bangladesh cricket has touched new highs and are no longer the underdogs. This is a team that cannot be afforded to be not taken seriously. They have the capability of being the dark horses and can give any team run for their money.

Bangladesh Women's Cricket team
Bangladesh Women’s Cricket team. Pic Credits: ACCMedia1/Twitter

ICC Women’s World T20 is only their fourth outing, having missed out on the first three as they “did not enter” into the required scheme of things. Bangladesh’s performance has been nothing but ordinary as they were knocked out of the league stage in as many times as they participated.

Year Host Performance/Result
2009 England Did not Enter
2010 West Indies Did not Enter
2012 Sri Lanka Did not Enter
2014 Bangladesh Group Stage
2016 India Group Stage
2018 West Indies Group Stage

This time around, Bangladesh will look for a change in fortune and hope that they are one among the two table toppers to qualify for the semi-final. Salma Khatun will look to marshal her troops and gain the most out of the ICC event. The 15-member squad of Bangladesh is as follows: Salma Khatun (captain), Rumana Ahmed, Jahanara Alam, Shamima Sultana (wicket-keeper), Murshida Khatun, Ayasha Rahman, Nigar Sultana, Sanjida Islam, Khadija Tul Kubra, Panna Ghosh, Fargana Hoque, Nahida Akter, Fahima Khatun, Ritu Moni, Sobhana Mostary

How can Bangladesh leave their mark in the Women’s World T20 this year? What could be the plausible strengths and weaknesses of the team? Let us have a quick look.

Strengths

The Bangladeshi batting looks quite balanced as they have the likes of skipper Salma Khatun, Shamima Sultana, and Sanjida Islam, who have played a fair amount of T20Is for their country. Also, they have Nigar Sultana and Fargana Hoque who are known for their power-hitting which is evident from the fact that both of them have a T20I century to their credit.

Also Read:  Match 3: Bangladesh v Ireland | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI
Salma Khatun. Women's T20 World Cup 2020
Salma Khatun. Women’s T20 World Cup 2020

The bowling attack also looks evenly poised as the side boasts of quality medium pace bowlers and spinners. Leggie Rumana Ahmed and quickie Jahanara Alam will be the go-to bowlers as they have immense experience of playing this format. Giving them company will be offie Khadija Tul Kubra and leg spinner Fahima Khatun, who have the knack of picking up wickets at crucial times.

Jahanara Alam. Women's T20 World Cup 2020
Jahanara Alam. Women’s T20 World Cup 2020

With respect to the fielding, Bangladeshi players are a bunch of agile players that can make the lives of the batters difficult. Sneaking a single will be not as easy as these girls. Click To Tweet

Weaknesses

Though they have good batters in their ranks it will be interesting to see how they fair against top bowling attacks of Australia, New Zealand, and India, who are in the same group as Bangladesh. It will be important for them to not lose wickets early on as the relative inexperience of their side can force the batting order to go down crumbling against the vastly experienced opposition.

Similarly, from the bowling perspective, though they have a perfect blend of pace and spin, every now and then they are likely to be compelled to pull a rabbit out of their hat since the opposition will be in no mood to let loose. This is where the bowlers will have to pull up their socks and give a tough fight.

With respect to their fielding, it looks good on paper, but it will be quite intriguing to see how they fair on the match day. Will they absorb the pressure or will they succumb to it?

Also Read:  Preview: 13th Match: New Zealand vs Bangladesh: Head to Head, Playing XI, Pitch Report, Injury Update, MyTeam11 Fantasy Tips

Also Read: Detailed Squad analysis of Bangladesh Women’s Cricket team

2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup – Bangladesh

Warm-ups

February 16: Bangladesh v Thailand
February 20: Bangladesh v Pakistan

Tournament

February 24: Bangladesh v India
February 27: Bangladesh v Australia
February 29: Bangladesh v New Zealand
March 2: Bangladesh v SriLanka
March 5: Semi-final 1, SCG
March 5: Semi-final 2, SCG
March 8: Final, MCG

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here