Laura Wolvaardt’s 90 and Fifty from Sune Luus help South Africa put 272 against Australia

On Tuesday, Australia and South Africa locked horns against each other in the 21st match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. Australia won the toss and elected to bowl.

Laura Wolvaardt's 90 and Fifty from Sune Luus help South Africa put 272 against Australia. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Laura Wolvaardt’s 90 and Fifty from Sune Luus help South Africa put 272 against Australia. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Batting first, South Africa started off well as the opening pair of Laura Wolvaardt and Lizelle Lee (36 runs off 44 balls) stitched an 88-run partnership in 19.4 overs to lay a solid foundation. This was also South Africa’s highest opening stand in this World Cup so far. After Lee departed, Lara Goodall, who replaced Tazmin Brits, could score 15 runs off 29 balls as she was sent packing by Annabel Sutherland. Later, captain Sune Luus joined hands with Wolvaardt to put together 91 runs for the third wicket.

However, after a delectable partnership, Wolvaardt (90 runs off 134 balls) and Luus (52 runs off 51 balls) were out in quick succession in 43rd over and 44th over respectively. In the process, Wolvaardt registered her fourth consecutive half-century in women’s ODIs to become the first player from South Africa to achieve the feat. Towards the end, the hard-hitting duo of Marizanne Kapp (30 not out off 21 balls) and Chloe Tryon (17 not out off 9 balls) made useful contributions with the bat to take South Africa to a competitive score of 5-271 in 50 overs.

For Australia, out of the seven bowlers used, five bowlers picked up one wicket each. Megan Schutt, who opened the bowling with Ellyse Perry bowled her full quota of 10 overs and struck with 1-55. Like Schutt, the spin twins in Ashleigh Gardner and Jess Jonassen bowled 10 overs each and picked up 1-52 each. Sutherland and Alana King were the other wicket-takers who accounted for 1-26 and 1-35 respectively. The pace duo of Perry and Tahlia McGrath went wicket-less. Unlike the bowling which looked ordinary, Australia’s fielding was spot on.

South Africa have set a target of 272 for Australia. Can Australia, who chased 278 in their last match against India, chase the target in excess of 270 again to register their sixth straight win of their World Cup campaign? Or will South Africa win their fifth straight match? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Match 34: Perth Scorchers v Adelaide Strikers | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here