Meg Lanning’s 97 Runs help Australia book their Semi-Final Berth

On Saturday, in the 18th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, Australia were chasing 278 in 50 overs against India.

Meg Lanning's 97 help Australia book their Semi-Final Berth. PC: ICC/Getty
Meg Lanning’s 97 help Australia book their Semi-Final Berth. PC: ICC/Getty

Australia got off to a flying start thanks to their prolific opening pair of Alyssa Healy and Rachael Haynes who stitched a 121 run partnership in just 19.2 overs, recording the highest opening partnership of this edition of the World Cup so far. After a fantastic start, both the openers perished in quick succession as Healy (72 runs off 65 balls) and Haynes (43 runs off 52 balls) made their way back to the pavilion in 20th over and 21st over respectively. Captain Meg Lanning and Ellyse Perry (28 runs off 51 balls) took on from where the opening pair left and put together 103 runs for the third wicket, which was their ninth-century stand in ODIs.

The duo put Australia in a commanding position in the run chase to take the game away from India. In the end, Beth Mooney took Australia home as she smashed an undefeated 30 off 20 balls. Lanning top-scored with a masterclass 97 off 107 balls and was unfortunate to miss out on scoring her 15th ODI century. The match went all the way down the wire as Australia chased down the target in 49.3 overs, winning the match by six wickets. The chase of 278 is now the highest successful run chase in the Women’s Cricket World Cup.

For India, right arm speedster Pooja Vastrakar was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-43 in her 10 overs. Meghna Singh and Sneh Rana struck with 1-68 and 1-56 in their full quota of 10 overs respectively. Jhulan Goswami, who played her 200th ODI today went wicket-less and so did the left arm spinner Rajeshwari Gayakwad. The Indian bowlers did not have a great day at office as they were not able to defend a healthy score of 278.

Also Read:  Indian Women's Cricket Team begin their preparations for Australia tour in Bangalore

Australia’ Meg Lanning won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The right-handed top-order batter muscled 97 runs off 107 balls to lead the run chase from the front.

With this win, Australia have won five straight matches in this World Cup so far, while India have won two out of their five matches in the tournament.

Australia and India will play their next fixtures on March 22 against South Africa and Bangladesh respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here