Charlie Dean’s 4-Wicket Haul bundle India to just 134, lowest total since 2009

On Wednesday, India and England locked horns against each other in the 15th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. England won the toss and elected to bowl.

Charlie Dean's 4-Wicket Haul bundle India to just 134, lowest total since 2009. PC: ICC/ Getty Images
Charlie Dean’s 4-Wicket Haul bundle India to just 134, lowest total since 2009. PC: ICC/ Getty Images

After a massive 155-run win over West Indies, the expectations were high from the Indian batters, who piled up 317 in their last outing. However, playing against England, the defending champions, India did not have a great outing with the bat as they were bundled out for a paltry 134 in 36.2 overs. India kept losing wickets at regular intervals and there were no big partnerships. Smriti Mandhana, who opened the batting with Yastika Bhatia (8 runs off 11 balls) top-scored with 35 runs off 58 balls. The Indian middle-order collapsed like a pack of cards with Mithali Raj, Deepti Sharma, Harmanpreet Kaur and Sneh Rana back in the pavilion inside 17 overs. India lost half their side for 61 in 16.4 overs. Later Jhulan Goswami and wicket-keeper Richa Ghosh stitched a 37-run partnership, which was the highest in the innings. While Ghosh muscled 33 runs off 56 balls, Goswami plundered 20 runs off 26 balls.

For England, the right arm off-spinner Charlotte Dean was the wrecker-in-chief as she wreaked havoc with the ball picking up 4-23 in her 8.2 overs, including one maiden. Anya Shrubsole, who opened the bowling with Katherine Brunt, struck with 2-20 in her six overs, including one maiden. Sophie Ecclestone and Kate Cross too contributed with the ball as they accounted for one wicket apiece. England had a great outing with the ball as they were able to restrict India to a modest score of 134 in 36.2 overs.

Also Read:  Ayabonga Khaka completes 100 One Day International Wickets

Before this match, England had dropped as many as eight catches in three matches. In this match against India they did not drop a single catch and were exceptional on the field. They managed to get two run-outs to further add to India’s woes. After three close losses, England played like defending champions and came out hard in this match against India.

India have set a target of 135 for England. Can England chase down the target and register their first win of their World Cup campaign? Or will India have the last laugh? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here