Rachael Haynes’ 83 thrash West Indies by 7 Wickets, Australia on Top of Points Table

On Tuesday, in the 14th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, Australia were chasing 132 in 50 overs against West Indies.

Rachael Haynes' 83 thrash West Indies by 7 Wickets, Australia on Top of Points Table. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Rachael Haynes’ 83 thrash West Indies by 7 Wickets, Australia on Top of Points Table. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Chasing a modest target of 132, Australia did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their right-handed opening batter Alyssa Healy (3 runs off 8 balls) and captain Meg Lanning for a six-ball duck in a jiffy. Australia were in some sort of trouble as they were struggling at 2-7 in 3.2 overs. While the off spinner Hayley Matthews got rid of Healy, right arm quick Shamilia Connell got the better of Lanning. Australia’s other opener in Rachael Haynes and all-rounder Ellyse Perry (10 runs off 31 balls) came together to stitch a 51-run partnership to lay a solid foundation for the run chase. After Perry departed, Beth Mooney joined hands with Haynes and the two southpaws powered Australia to a comfortable seven-wicket win over West Indies as they put together 75 runs for the fourth wicket. Haynes top scored with an unbeaten 84 runs off 95 balls while Mooney muscled an undefeated 28 runs off 42 balls. Australia completed the formalities in just 30.2 overs.

For West Indies, Hayley Matthews, Shamilia Connell and Chinelle Henry were the wicket-takers as they scalped one wicket apiece. The trio did not get much support from Karishma Ramharack, Shakera Selman and Stafanie Taylor as they could not manage to pick up wickets. Despite starting off well, the West Indian bowlers failed to pick wickets at regular intervals to restrict Australia’s flow of runs. They fielded and bowled well, however the score was too low to be defended.

Also Read:  Which are the Final 8 Teams for ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022?

Australia’s Ellyse Perry won the player of the match for her match-winning bowling performance. The right arm seamer picked up 3-22 in her eight overs. She got rid of West Indies’ top three inside 10 overs.

With this win, Australia have registered their fourth straight win in their World Cup campaign, while West Indies have won two out of their four matches in the tournament so far.

Australia and West Indies will play their next fixtures on March 19 against India and March 18 against Bangladesh respectively

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around the Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here