Ellyse Perry rattle Windies’ top order, Stafanie Taylor survives to put 131 Runs

On Tuesday, Australia and West Indies locked horns against each other in the 14th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. West Indies won the toss and elected to bat.

Ellyse Perry picks 3 Wickets against West Indies. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Ellyse Perry picks 3 Wickets against West Indies. PC: ICC/Getty Images

West Indies got off to a horrid start as they lost their in-form right-handed opening batter, Hayley Matthews, for a duck in the second over of the innings. Matthews was clean bowled by Ellyse Perry and in the same over Perry sent Kycia Knight packing for a golden duck. West Indies’ other opener Deandra Dottin started off slow as she mustered 16 runs off 36 balls, including two boundaries. But Perry did not allow the free flowing Dottin to capitalize on her start and sent her back to the pavilion in the 10th over. West Indies were struggling at 3-34 in 9.5 overs before captain Stafanie Taylor and wicket-keeper Shemaine Campbelle (20 runs off 51 balls) came together to stitch a 36-run partnership for the fourth wicket. Chedean Nation and Aaliyah Alleyne also got off to starts but were out after scoring 10 runs each. Taylor was the lone warrior for West Indies as she crafted her way to a well-fought 50 off 91 balls, including three boundaries. West Indies were finally bundled out for a paltry 131 in 45.5 overs.

For Australia, their star all-rounder Ellyse Perry was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-22 in her eight overs and wreaked havoc with the ball to send the West Indian top three back to the hut. Perry shared the new ball with Megan Schutt, who accounted for 1-23 in her nine overs, including two maidens. The spin twins in Ashleigh Gardner and Jess Jonassen also had a good outing with the ball as they struck with 3-25 and 2018 respectively. Tahlia McGrath and Alana King were the other bowlers used by Australia, who went wicket-less. The Australian bowlers were all over the power-packed West Indian batting and did a great job to bowl them out cheaply.

Also Read:  West Indies Women register their first ever World Cup Win against England

West Indies have set a target of 132 for Australia. Can Australia chase down the target and register their fourth straight win of their World Cup campaign? Or will the West Indies bowl out Australia cheaply? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here