Fargana Hoque Pinky’s 71 powers Bangladesh to their Highest Ever Total against Pakistan

On Monday, Bangladesh and Pakistan locked horns against each other in the 12th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. Pakistan won the toss and elected to bowl.

Fargana Hoque in action. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Fargana Hoque in action. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Batting first, Bangladesh got off to a steady start as the opening pair of Shamima Sultana (17 runs off 30 balls) and Sharmin Akhter put together 37 runs in 8.5 overs. Later, the in-form Fargana Hoque joined hands with Akhter to stitch a partnership of 42 runs for the second wicket before the latter was out scoring 44 runs off 55 balls. Hoque picked up from where she had left and piled up 96 runs with captain Nigar Sultana for the third wicket to take Bangladesh to a strong position. The Bangla tigresses were roaring at 3-175 inside 40 overs and were looking to get to a total of 250 atleast. However Pakistani bowlers pulled back things and picked up the next four wickets giving away 57 runs. Hoque top scored with a brilliant 71 off 115 balls while Sultana chipped in with a 64-ball 46. At the end of 50 overs, Bangladesh posted a fighting score of 7-234. In their third outing in this World Cup, Bangladesh managed to score in excess of 200 runs.

For Pakistan, the left arm spinner Nashra Sandhu was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-41 in her 10 overs. The wily spinner received good support from Fatima Sana, who opened the bowling as she struck with 1-54 in her 10 overs. The twin-off spinners in veteran Nida Dar and young Omaima Sohail too contributed with the ball as they accounted for one wicket each. Right arm quick Diana Baig, who shared the new ball with Sana and the leg spinner Ghulam Fatima, who picked up three wickets in her last match against South Africa went wicket-less. The Pakistani fielding looked good as there was just the one dropped catch that too in the 49th over of the innings.

Bangladesh have set a target of 235 for Pakistan. Can Pakistan chase down the target and register the first win of their World Cup campaign? Or will the World Cup debutants Bangladesh have the last laugh? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Squads and Schedule for Women’s Emerging Asia Cup in Sri Lanka
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here