Bangladesh beat Pakistan by 9 Runs to Create History in Women’s World Cup

On Monday, in the 12th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, Pakistan were chasing 235 in 50 overs against Bangladesh.

Bangladesh beat Pakistan by 9 Runs to Create History in Women's World Cup. PC: ICC/ Getty Images
Bangladesh beat Pakistan by 9 Runs to Create History in Women’s World Cup. PC: ICC/ Getty Images

Pakistan started off the run chase on a positive note as the opening pair of Sidra Ameen and Nahida Khan (43 runs off 67 balls) stitched a 91-run partnership in 23.4 overs. Ameen and Khan laid a solid foundation for the team as they took the attack to the opposition. After the departure of Khan, captain Bismah Maroof joined hands with Ameen to put together 64 runs for the second wicket. At one stage, Pakistan were looking good at 2-155 in 37.5 overs but in the next six overs they lost four wickets and were suddenly struggling at 7-188 in 44 overs. They lost five wickets in five runs to see an unexpected batting collapse. Apart from Pakistan’s top three none of the other batters could contribute. Pakistan were restricted to 9-225 in 50 overs as they lost by nine runs in the nail-biting thriller.

For Bangladesh, right arm leg spinner Fahima Khatun was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-38 in her eight overs. Out of her three wickets, she picked two in the same over as she sent Aliya Riaz and Fatima Sana packing in the 44th over of the match. She bowled in the right areas on a consistent basis and yielded rich dividends. Apart from Fahima Khatun, the other right arm leg spinner in Rumana Ahmed chipped in with 2-29 in her seven overs, while the veteran right-arm off-spinner Salma Khatun and pace sensation Jahanara Alam struck with one wicket apiece. Apart from a good bowling performance, Bangladesh fielded well in the match.

Also Read:  Andrie Steyn replaces injured Anneke Bosch in South Africa’s World Cup 2022 squad

Bangladesh’s Fahima Khatun won the player of the match for her match-winning bowling performance. The right arm leg spinner picked up 3-38 in her eight overs.

With this win, Bangladesh registered its first win in their debut ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. Pakistan have not yet opened their account as they have four losses in as many matches.

Bangladesh and Pakistan will play their next fixtures on March 18 and March 21 against West Indies respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here