Two on two….
Women in Blue have won both of their T-20 Asia Cup matches. Both, Malaysia and Thailand failed to pose a real challenge before India as the Indians registered comfortable wins over their opponents. Once again, the blue brigade will be in action and this time, the opponent will be Bangladesh Women. But before that, let’s take a look at the past (Head-to-Head) record of both the teams in Women’s T-20 internationals. Both the teams will be facing each other for the tenth (10th) time in the Women’s T-20 international history, the result summary of the earlier nine matches is as follows:-
1. 2013 Three T-20 match series won by India (3-0)
2. 2014 Three T-20 match series won by India (3-0)
3. Women’s T-20 World Cup 2014, match won by India Women
4. Women’s T-20 World Cup 2016, match won by India Women
5. Asia Cup 2016, match won by India Women
The above statistics clearly shows the dominance of Women in Blue over their Bangladeshi counterparts.
Moving on to the analysis of the level of competence that is likely to be displayed by the Bangladesh team in this Asia Cup, let’s check out the current Bangladesh Women’s team squad, which is as follows :-
1. Salma Khatun (captain)
2. Rumana Ahmed
3. Nahida Akter
4. Jahanara Alam
5. Lily Rani Biswas
6. Jannatul Ferdus
7. Panna Ghosh
8. Fargana Hoque
9. Sanjida Islam
10. Fatima Khatun
11. Khadija Tul Kubra
12. Ayasha Rehman
13. Nigar Sultana
14. Shamima Sultana
15. Sharmin Sultana
The most sort after players of this squad are :-
1. Captain Salma Khatun – Salma has been undoubtedly the best all-rounder for her team especially against India. She has been one among the most economical bowlers against India. Also, she is one of the two most experienced players of Bangladeshi team (she has played in all the nine T-20 matches against India Women)
2. Panna Ghosh – Another experienced player, another economical bowler and had been very effective against India in the past.
3. Jahanara Alam – Jahanara is another player who provides the real strength and deepth to her team’s bowling department. She can be trump card on her day and have bowled economically against Women in Blue.
4. Nahida Akter – Player with the best bowling figures in the last match against Pakistan. Her contribution helped Bangladesh team to do a big upset by see defecting a prominent and seemingly better Pakistani team.
5. Fatima Khatun – Player of the match of the last match against Pakistan, she is an in-form player for Bangladesh.
Despite having such a strong bowling line-up, Bangladesh Women team have failed to convert their matches into wins. The reason is depicted in their poor batting displays. Nigar Sultana’s last match performance is surely a positive sign for their team as far as batting is concerned.
Meanwhile, we wish for an interesting cricketing game and may the best team wins.
‘Gully’ cricket player and close observer of Indian Cricket team and it’s matches. Straight forward and still socially admirable personality. Strong belief in teamwork and possess high leadership skills.