Jhulan Goswami surpasses Lyn Fullston’s Record to Take Most World Cup Wickets

India’s veteran fast bowling and leading wicket-taker in women’s cricket across formats, Jhulan Goswami reached another milestone of March 12 when she became the highest wicket-taker in Women’s World Cups, going past Australian left arm spinner Lyn Fullston, who had 39 wickets.

Jhulan Goswami surpasses Lyn Fullston's Record to Take Most World Cup Wickets. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Jhulan Goswami surpasses Lyn Fullston’s Record to Take Most World Cup Wickets. PC: ICC / Getty Images

Goswami took the wicket of West Indies’ Anisa Mohammed in the 36th over of the match between India and West Indies that was played during the ongoing ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. The tall right arm speedster bowled a fuller length delivery to Mohammed who ballooned it in the air to find the safe hands of substitute fielder Taniya Bhatia, who was standing at short mid-wicket. This was Goswami’s 40th wicket in Women’s World Cups which is now the highest in the tournament.

To date, the 39-year old seamer has featured in 31 World Cup matches and picked up 40 wickets, including the best of 4-16. She has bowled as many as 246.3 overs in the World Cups, which is the highest in the women’s game. Out of these 246.3 overs, she has bowled 52 maidens. Having an economy rate of just 3.67 runs per over, Goswami has conceded 831 runs. She averages 20.77 and her strike rate is 36.9. In her World Cup journey so far, she has accounted for two four-wicket hauls. This is her fifth ODI World Cup having made her debut in 2005. India reached the finals of the 2005 World Cup that was played in South Africa and in that tournament she scalped 13 wickets to become the third-highest wicket-taker in the competition. Unlike the 2005 World Cup, she did not have a great outing in the 2009 World Cup as she picked up just four wickets. The last two World Cups, 2013 in India and 2017 in England, were good for her as she struck with nine and 10 wickets respectively. India reached their second World Cup finals in 2017.

Overall, the Indian speedster has featured in 198 ODIs for India and has picked up 249 wickets, including seven four-wicket hauls and two five-wicket hauls. So far in this World Cup, she has accounted for four wickets. How many wickets will she have at the end of the tournament? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  All you need to know about South Africa’s Squad for 2022 Women’s Cricket World Cup

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here