South Africa pull off a thrilling 6 Run Win over Pakistan

On Friday, in the ninth match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, Pakistan were chasing 224 in 50 overs against South Africa.

Batting first, South Africa posted a total of 223 Runs in 50 overs.

Shabnim Ismail takes an excellent catch to dismiss Diana Baig in 50th Over. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Shabnim Ismail takes an excellent catch to dismiss Diana Baig in 50th Over. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Pakistan started on a steady note as they piled up 26 runs in first six overs, thanks to the opening pair of Nahida Khan and Sidra Ameen (12 runs off 14 balls). But South Africa’s pace sensation Shabnim Ismail wreaked havoc with the ball as she sent Ameen and captain Bismah Maroof packing in two consecutive balls in the seventh over. Maroof, who scored a brilliant 78 not out against Australia in her last game, departed on the very first ball that she faced, without troubling the scorers.

All-rounder Omaima Sohail then joined hands with Khan (40 runs off 71 balls) to put together a 59-run partnership for the third wicket. After the departure of Khan, Sohail and veteran Nida Dar came together to stitch a 49-run partnership before the former was out on 65 runs off 104 balls. Dar mustered 55 runs off 72 balls but after she was out, there was little hope that Pakistan could cross the line. In the end, Pakistan were bundled out for 217 in 49.5 overs, losing the match by six runs.

For South Africa, right arm speedster Shabnim Ismail was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-41 in 9.5 overs. The pace twins in Marizanne Kapp and Ayabonga Khaka accounted for two wickets apiece, with Masabata Klass chipping in with one. The spinning duo of captain Sune Luus and Chloe Tryon went wicket-less. The South African bowling unit did a wonderful job to bowl out Pakistan for 217 to win the match by just six runs. It was a nail-biting thriller that was played between the two sides.

South Africa’s Shabnim Ismail won the player of the match for her match-winning bowling performance of 3-43 in 9.5 overs.

Also Read:  Bangladesh beat Pakistan by 9 Runs to Create History in Women's World Cup

With this win, South Africa have won two out of the two matches in their World Cup campaign so far, while Pakistan have lost all three matches in this tournament.

Pakistan and South Africa will play their next fixtures on March 14 against Bangladesh and England respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here