Laura Wolvaardt and Sune Luus help South Africa post 223 against Pakistan

On Friday, Pakistan and South Africa locked horns against each other in the ninth match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. Pakistan won the toss and elected to bowl.

Laura Wolvaardt and Sune Luus help South Africa post 223 against Pakistan. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Laura Wolvaardt and Sune Luus help South Africa post 223 against Pakistan. PC: ICC / Getty Images

Batting first, South Africa posted a competitive score of 223-9 in 50 overs. Lizelle Lee, who missed out in the first match of South Africa against Bangladesh was a part of the playing XI today but the otherwise swashbuckling batter missed out on scoring. The right-handed opening batter could only manage to score 2 runs off 7 balls, before Pakistan’s pace sensation Fatima Sana got the better of her. Lee’s opening partner Laura Wolvaardt, who has been in red hot form in the recent past, struck a masterclass 75 off 91 balls and stitched an 89-run partnership with captain Sune Luus. Tazmin Brits (2 runs off 18 balls) who came in at number three failed to deliver as she was sent packing by right arm speedster Diana Baig. South Africa’s most prolific run-getter Mignon Du Preez did not have a great day at office as she went back without troubling the scorers. Later, Luus and hard hitting batter Chloe Tryon (31 runs off 38 balls) put together a 55-run partnership for the sixth wicket. The captain mustered 62 runs off 102 balls and played the anchor’s role. Towards the end, wicket-keeper Trisha Chetty played a cameo of 31 runs from 26 balls to steer the Proteas to a respectable score.

For Pakistan, the leg spinner Ghulam Fatima and fast bowler Fatima Sana picked up 3-52 in nine overs and 3-43 in 10 overs respectively. They received good support from Diana Baig and Nashra Sandhu who chipped in with one wicket each. Playing their third match of the World Cup, Pakistan opened the bowling with the pace twins in Diana Baig and Fatima Sana. In the first two matches, Baig shared the new ball with left arm spinner Anam Amin, who was replaced by Ghulam Fatima for today’s game. The spin duo of Nida Dar and Omaima Sohail went wicket-less.

South Africa have set a target of 224 for Pakistan. Can Pakistan chase down the target and register their first win in their World Cup campaign? Or will South Africa pocket their second consecutive win in the tournament? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  Fargana Hoque Pinky's 71 powers Bangladesh to their Highest Ever Total against Pakistan

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here