Harmanpreet Kaur’s 71 in vain, India fall short of 62 Runs against New Zealand

On Thursday, in the eighth match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, India were chasing 261 in 50 overs against New Zealand.

New Zealand posted a total of 260 Runs on the board in 50 overs.

Harmanpreet Kaur's 71 in vain, India fall short of 62 Runs against New Zealand. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Harmanpreet Kaur’s 71 in vain, India fall short of 62 Runs against New Zealand. PC: ICC / Getty Images

India had a new opening pair in the form of Smriti Mandhana and Yastika Bhatia, with the latter replacing Shafali Verma in the playing XI today. The two southpaws struggled to find gaps early in the innings as they were tied down firmly by the White Ferns. At the end of 10 overs, India were struggling at 2-26 with both Mandhana (6 runs off 21 balls) and Deepti Sharma (5 runs off 13 balls) back in the hut.

Yastika Bhatia (28 runs off 59 balls) joined hands with captain Mithali Raj (31 runs off 56 balls) to stabilize the innings but was sent packing by the pace sensation Lea Tahuhu. After Bhatia, Raj and Richa Ghosh perished off two consecutive balls, as the wily leg spinner Amelia Kerr spun a web to entangle the two Indian batters. India’s vice-captain Harmanpreet Kaur fought hard in the run chase and top-scored with 71 runs off 63 balls, however, her effort went in vain as India were bowled out for 198 in 46.4 overs, losing the match by 62 runs.

New Zealand beat India by 62 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images
New Zealand beat India by 62 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images

There were some contributions towards the end by Sneh Rana (18 runs off 28 balls), Jhulan Goswami (15 runs off 13 balls), and Meghna Singh (12 not out off 9 balls) but it was too late in the day for India.

For New Zealand, Lea Tahuhu and Amelia Kerr were fantastic with the ball as they scalped three wickets apiece. Hayley Jensen chipped in with two wickets, with Jess Kerr and Hannah Rowe accounting for one wicket each. The New Zealanders bowled very well all through the course of the match not allowing the Indian batters to score freely. They bowled in the right areas on a consistent basis and yielded rich dividends.

Also Read:  Team Preview: Brisbane Heat in WBBL 2019 – Fixtures, Squad, Key Players

New Zealand’s Amy Satterthwaite won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance of 75 runs off 84 balls.

India and New Zealand will play their next fixtures on March 12 against West Indies and on March 13 against Australia respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here