Pooja Vastrakar’s 4 Wicket haul help India restrict New Zealand to 260 Runs

On Thursday, India and New Zealand locked horns against each other in the eighth match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. India won the toss and elected to bowl first.

Pooja Vastrakar's 4 Wicket haul help India restrict New Zealand to 260 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Pooja Vastrakar’s 4 Wicket haul help India restrict New Zealand to 260 Runs. PC: ICC / Getty Images

New Zealand did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their star opening batter Suzie Bates (5 runs off 10 balls) in the third over of the match, thanks to a brilliant piece of fielding by Pooja Vastrakar to get Bates run out. Captain Sophie Devine and the in-form all-rounder Amelia Kerr then joined hands together to pile up 45 runs for the second wicket, before Devine was out on 35 runs off 30 balls. Kerr and vice-captain Amy Satterthwaite then put together 57 runs for the third wicket. Both these batters scored delectable half-centuries with Kerr mustering 50 runs off 64 balls and Satterthwaite top-scoring for the White Ferns with 75 runs off 84 balls. Apart from these, there were some useful contributions lower down the order from wicket-keeper Katey Martin (41 runs off 51 balls) and Maddy Green (27 runs off 36 balls). At the end of 50 overs, New Zealand posted a respectable score of 260-9.

India’s fielding looked good in patches however there were three dropped catches, one each by Pooja Vastrakar, captain Mithali Raj and a tough chance for Yastika Bhatia in the deep.

For India, right arm pace sensation Pooja Vastrakar was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 4-34 in her 10 overs, which is also her best bowling figures in ODI cricket to date. She bowled exceedingly well in the death overs as she got her yorkers perfectly right. She received good support from left arm spinner Rajeshwari Gayakwad and Deepti Sharma who struck with two and one wickets each. Jhulan Goswami also chipped in one wicket to become the joint highest wicket-taker in Women’s Cricket World Cup (39 wickets).

New Zealand have set a target of 261 for India. Can India chase down the target and register their second consecutive win in their World Cup campaign? Or will New Zealand have the last laugh? Stay tuned to find out.

Also Read:  "I've been working really hard on my core strength," says Darcie Brown

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here