Ayabonga Khaka’s 4 Wicket Haul help South Africa beat Bangladesh by 32 Runs

On Saturday, in the first match of the double-header of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, Bangladesh were chasing 208 in 50 overs against South Africa.

Ayabonga Khaka's 4 Wicket Haul help South Africa beat Bangladesh . PC: OfficialCSA/Twitter
Ayabonga Khaka’s 4 Wicket Haul help South Africa beat Bangladesh. PC: OfficialCSA/Twitter

The World Cup debutants, Bangladesh started off well, as the opening pair of Shamima Sultana and Sharmin Akhter stitched a 69 run partnership in 19.3 overs. Akhter top-scored for Bangladesh with 34 runs off 77 balls, including four boundaries. From 68-0 to 85-4, South Africa picked up wickets in quick succession to make the inroads. Proteas’ right arm seamer Ayabonga Khaka scalped three out of the four wickets and there was one run out. Later in the innings, Rumana Ahmed (21 runs off 32 balls) and captain Nigar Sultana (29 runs off 59 balls) looked to consolidate the innings, however, it was too big a task in the end. Ritu Moni also made a useful contribution of 27 runs off 38 balls, lower down the order. Bangladesh were bundled out for 175 in 49.3 overs, losing the match by 32 runs.

For South Africa, Khaka, who came in as the first change wreaked havoc with the ball as she struck with 4-32 in her 10 overs. She bowled three maiden overs, which was the highest in the match. The right arm seamer got rid of Akhter and Murshida Khatun in the same over and brought South Africa back into the game. She received support from her fellow right arm speedster Masabata Klass, who picked up 2-36 in her 10 overs, including one maiden. The opening bowling pair of Shabnim Ismail and Marizanne Kapp accounted for one wicket each. Left-arm spinner Chloe Tryon too rolled her arm over to bowl eight overs, conceding just 22 runs. Tryon was the most economical bowler for the Proteas.

South Africa’s Ayabonga Khaka won the player of the match for her match-winning bowling performance of 4-32 in 10 overs, including three maidens. In the process, she achieved a milestone of 100 ODI wickets. Khaka is only the fifth South African bowler to accomplish this feat.

Also Read:  World Cup 2022: SWOT Analysis of England Women's Team

Bangladesh and South Africa will play their next fixtures on March 7 against New Zealand and on March 11 against Pakistan respectively.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here