Relief for World Cup teams as New Zealand reduces Quarantine Period from 10 to 7 Days

New Zealand is decked up to host the 2022 ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup next month. As the excitement builds up with just 15 days left for the big tournament, the announcement of relaxation of Covid-19 norms in the island country has uplifted the training plans for women’s cricket teams that are currently in Quarantine there.

Megan Schutt completes 100 ODI Wicket Milestone. PC: Getty Images
Megan Schutt completes 100 ODI Wicket Milestone. PC: Getty Images

The order released by the New Zealand government states that the country would now move into ‘Phase Two’ of their response to Omicron following which the Quarantine period has been reduced from 10 to 7 days. Sharing this great news with an article on their official website, Cricket Australia mentioned that this move means that Australia along with England, South Africa, and Pakistan all of whom are in Christchurch would most likely be out of Quarantine on Thursday Evening instead of Sunday. Further, confirming that West Indies who is Auckland will also be released early while Bangladesh has already completed their 10-day quarantine and so has India who is currently playing a bilateral series against the White Ferns.

The report also shared bowler Amanda-Jade Wellington’s excitement. She said

“It was definitely a nice surprise, It’s a weight off some of the girls’ shoulders, they’ve been itching to get outside to go for a run. We’ve very grateful that’s happened.”

Wellington who missed out in the 2021-22 Ashes squad with young Alana King being considered over her, shared how she was utilizing the quarantine period, researching about the opponent teams as well as how the presence of stationary bikes and weight bags full of water has helped her stay active.

Also Read:  Past Records between England and West Indies Women in ODI World Cup

“I was very disappointed to miss out on the Ashes, but to be a part of that Aussie A squad was fantastic,”

“Just the feeling of being back in an Australian environment was awesome and I was very grateful for that opportunity.

“Now to be part of the World Cup squad, I feel like a kid in a candy store.” Wellington said as reported by cricket.com.au

2022 ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup begins on March 4 prior to which each of the 8 teams- India, England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies, Bangladesh, and Pakistan will play 2 Warm-Up matches each starting February 27. The Semi-Finals of the big tournament will be played on March 30 and 31 in Wellington and Christchurch respectively with the latter hosting the Finals on April 3.

Author of the poetry book ‘The Scent of Rhythm’, I am a passionate writer and a Sports enthusiast who writes on Cricket and plays Badminton.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here