Sophie Molineux named as the captain of Melbourne Renegades in WBBL, replaces Amy Satterthwaite

Melbourne Renegades yesterday decided to name all-rounder Sophie Molineux as their captain. She will be taking over from New Zealand’s Amy Satterthwaite for the Women’s Big Bash League season.

Sophie Molineux. PC: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images
Sophie Molineux. PC: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images

Renegades also changed their coach this season by replacing Lachlan Stevens with Simon Helmot after they finished in the seventh-place last season.

Sophie has been a very precious asset for the Renegades since the beginning and now will hopefully lead the team to their first title. Last season, Sophie Scored 221 runs and took 11 wickets with her left-arm spin. At age 23, Molineux has become the youngest captain in Melbourne Renegades’ history.

“It’s a real honour to be appointed captain of a club I love so much and follow in the footsteps of some high-quality leaders that I look up to,” Molineux said.

“Amy Satterthwaite has had a massive influence on the group and me personally. Her wealth of knowledge and ability to stay composed is what I’ve always admired. Jess Duffin is such a competitor and leads by example and I’ve also had the privilege of playing under Meg Lanning in the Victorian and Australian teams. I am really excited to be able to take what I’ve learned from each of them, combine it with how I approach the game, and continue to grow and learn along the way.” She added.

Talking about Molineux, Coach Helmot said, “Sophie has fantastic relationships within the squad. She’s tactically astute, trusted, and highly respected across the playing group,”

“She’s had an excellent apprenticeship working under some great captains, including Amy who has helped nurture so much of our young talent. That grounding under such leadership will have Sophie well prepared, we’re excited to see this next phase in her career and we’ll support her along the way. We look forward to the start of a sustained period of success for the club under Sophie’s leadership,” he added.

Also Read:  Indian Women's team to tour New Zealand for 5 ODIs, 1 T20I before Cricket World Cup 2022

Not only in WBBL but even in the national team, Molineux has given some remarkable performances. She has been a part of two ICC T20 World Cup-winning squads. In last year’s finals, Molineux took 1/21 to help her team defeat India by 85 runs and win a second-consecutive world championship.

Source: ANI

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here