The ‘right time’ for WBBL to go it alone says Meg Lanning

With 4 successful seasons and a fifth one on the cards, Women’s Big Bash League one of the most successful leagues women cricket has ever seen, with last year’s viewership dwarfing the men’s A-League competition. The league has grown year on year, in its own place and pace alongside the more established men’s version.

“I think it being early on in the summer gives us some clean air and hopefully the public’s ready for some cricket,”

Meg Lanning told the Cricket Unfiltered podcast.

“I think it’s the right time. Playing alongside the men’s competition has done a really good job for the first four years but we’re ready to take that step now and be sort of in the spotlight I guess.

“The skills of the game are certainly as good as they’ve ever been. Hopefully, everyone comes and watches and we can create a really good atmosphere and get some new fans to the games.”

Now that the league has got its own breathing space, it’s just a matter of time for us to see the new heights achieved by the league as a whole.

For the upcoming season, only 23 out of 56 of the WBBL games will be televised leaving 33 games without any TV coverage, unlike the men’s competition which has every game televised on a combination of Fox Cricket and Channel 7.

Loves all things female cricket

Also Read:  Why women's cricket is becoming so popular in India
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here