New Zealand beat World Cup Favorites Australia, India beat West Indies in Warm-Up

On Tuesday, two warm-up matches were played ahead of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup that will kick start from March 4 in New Zealand. The first warm-up game was played between the trans-Tasmanian rivals, Australia and New Zealand at Bert Sutcliffe Oval, Lincoln, while the second fixture was played between India and West Indies at Rangiora Oval, Rangiora.

New Zealand beat Australia by 9 Wickets in Warm-Up Match

Suzie Bates and Amelia Kerr help NZ beat Australia by 9 Wickets. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Suzie Bates and Amelia Kerr help NZ beat Australia by 9 Wickets. PC: ICC / Getty Images

New Zealand cruised to a nine-wicket win against Australia, as they chased down the daunting total of 322 in 43.1 overs. Captain Sophie Devine made it look like a walk in the park as she muscled an unbeaten 161 off 117 balls, to lead the run chase. Devine stitched a 119-run opening partnership with Suzie Bates (63 runs off 68 balls) to set the foundation for the White Ferns. After the departure of Bates, Amelia Kerr, who has been in red hot form, picked up from where she had left in the five-match ODI series against India and plundered 92 not out off 75 balls. New Zealand’s blitzkrieg made the Australian bowling look listless. Leg spinner Alana King was the lone wicket-taker for the Aussies. Early in the day, Australia, riding half-centuries from Alyssa Healy (64 runs off 71 balls), Meg Lanning (87 runs off 86 balls), Beth Mooney (55 runs off 51 balls) and Ashleigh Gardner (60 runs off 32 balls) piled up 321-9 in 50 overs. For New Zealand, right arm seamer Hannah Rowe was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 4-49 in her 10 overs. Such a comprehensive win over the number one ODI side in the world will give New Zealand a lot of confidence going into the World Cup.

India beat West Indies by 81 Runs in Warm-Up Match

Also Read:  First-ever 300+ total for India in a Women's World Cup Match
Smriti Mandhana scores half-century against West Indies in a warm-up match. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Smriti Mandhana scores half-century against West Indies in a warm-up match. PC: ICC/Getty Images

India won their second warm-up match as they successfully defended 258 against West Indies. After losing Shafali Verma for a duck, the two southpaws, Smriti Mandhana and Deepti Sharma put together 117 runs for the second wicket to lay a solid base for India. While Mandhana crafted a 67-ball, Sharma mustered a 64-ball 50. Later, captain Mithali Raj and Yastika Bhatia too joined the party and made some useful contributions. While Raj scored 42-ball 30, Bhatia registered 53-ball 42. For West Indies, Hayley Matthews, Cherry-Ann Fraser and Karishma Ramharack struck with two wickets apiece. With the bat, West Indies were restricted to 177-9 in 50 overs, as they fell short of 81 runs. Pooja Vastrakar wreaked havoc with 3-21 in her seven overs and was well supported by Meghna Singh and spin twins, Rajeshwari Gayakwad and Deepti Sharma, all accounting for two scalps each.

India have won both their warm-up games, while West Indies have ended on the losing side in their two warm-up fixtures.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  "It just shows the Courage we have within the team," says Hayley Matthews
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here