“I cannot control my bowling in the death over,” admits Marufa Akter

In recent tournaments, including the ongoing Women’s Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, Marufa Akter has found herself occasionally sidelined in crucial phases of the game due to concerns over her effectiveness in the death overs. Acknowledging this challenge, head coach Hashan Tillakaratne has emphasized the importance of refining Marufa’s skills to make her a more versatile bowler across all stages of the innings.

I cannot control my bowling in the death over, admits Marufa Akter. PC: ACC
I cannot control my bowling in the death over, admits Marufa Akter. PC: ACC

Marufa made her T20I debut against New Zealand in 2022, and in her 25 T20I matches, she has claimed 18 wickets with the best figures of 3/23. As the leading pace bowler for Bangladesh, Marufa is on a mission to enhance her death bowling, a challenge that has emerged as a focal point in her career.

“Marufa has been exceptional with the new ball, utilizing natural swing to trouble opposition batters early on,” said Tillakaratne. “However, her ability to control matches in the latter overs has been a point of concern. We have planned a strategy to utilize her earlier in the innings, potentially finishing her spell before the 17th over, and have been actively working on adding variations such as slower balls and yorkers to her range.”

Marufa herself has acknowledged the need for improvement, particularly in mastering pace variations and mastering crucial deliveries like yorkers and cutters. “I have focused on increasing my pace while also learning to bowl slower deliveries effectively,” she stated. “Working closely with former Test pacer Robiul Islam during our recent training camp at BKSP has been invaluable in improving these skills.”

To place your bets and earn real money, click on the image and sign up now:

Stake Cricket Banner

Robiul Islam, who has been mentoring Marufa in her quest to improve, emphasized the gradual nature of skill development in bowling, especially in high-pressure situations like the death overs. “We have been concentrating on developing her slower balls, yorkers, and off-cutters,” Robiul explained. “It’s a process that requires patience and consistent effort, but Marufa has shown promising signs of improvement.”

Also Read:  Nannapat Koncharoenkai leads Thailand to victory against Malaysia

Veteran bowler Jahanara Alam, who has rejoined the squad for the Asia Cup, provided valuable advice to Marufa on handling pressure situations. “Jahanara Apu’s experience has been invaluable,” Marufa noted. “She has advised me to experiment with different variations and assured me that mastering these skills takes time and dedication.”

Looking ahead, Marufa remains optimistic about her progress. “I am committed to refining my skills and contributing more effectively in all phases of the game,” she affirmed. “While there are challenges, I am determined to overcome them with the support of the coaching staff and my teammates.”

With ongoing support and guidance, Marufa Akter continues to strive towards becoming a tough force in Bangladesh’s bowling lineup, aiming to excel not only with the new ball but also during the crucial death overs, ultimately contributing to her team’s success on the international stage.

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Germany Women’s National Cricket Team Belgium Women’s National Cricket Team France Women’s National Cricket Team
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket