“My biggest goal is to play in the World Cup one day” says Winifred Duraisingam on ICC’s World Cup expansion to 16 teams

On July 22nd, Female Cricket spoke with Malaysian Captain Winifred Duraisingam during the ACC Women’s Asia Cup 2024. She shared her thoughts on the International Cricket Council’s (ICC’s) recent announcement to expand the Women’s T20 World Cup to 16 teams starting from 2030.

“My biggest goal is to play in the World Cup one day” says Winifred Duraisingam on ICC's World Cup expansion to 16 teams. PC: ACC
“My biggest goal is to play in the World Cup one day” says Winifred Duraisingam on ICC’s World Cup expansion to 16 teams. PC: ACC

Duraisingam expressed excitement about the news, stating that having sixteen teams in the World Cup provides a great opportunity for Malaysia to participate. She mentioned that playing in the World Cup is her biggest goal and hopes this expansion increases their chances of achieving it.

“This is really good news for us. Sixteen teams are going to play in the World Cup. I hope we get that chance. That’s what I’m waiting for, actually. That’s my biggest goal to achieve – to play in the World Cup one day. I hope this is a great opportunity for us to play in the World Cup next year,” she said.

Looking ahead to the next six years, Duraisingam highlighted the areas where the Malaysian team needs improvement to better prepare for the upcoming T20 World Cup. She emphasized the importance of enhancing their batting skills while expressing confidence in their bowlers’ abilities. Despite missing three key players due to injury, Duraisingam praised the young team’s dedication and lack of fear when facing experienced opponents. She sees this as a valuable learning experience and is optimistic that the team will come back stronger and better prepared for future opportunities.

To place your bets and earn real money, click on the image and sign up now:

Duraisingam stated “What we go back and do now we prepare mainly in our batting side because I know our bowlers, we can do what we want and I got hope from them and also our feeling like now we were missing three good important players out because of injury but with this young team also they are doing well, giving the 100% diving on the field with playing against big experienced players I don’t see the fear on them but this is a great learning curve for them and I hope they’ll come back strong and we’ll come back. All of us will come back strong and prepare well for the World Cup if we get the chance to play in the next six years’ time.”

Also Read:  Watch Video: Emotional scenes in Sri Lanka dressing room after historic Asia Cup Victory

So far, in this edition of the Women’s Asia Cup, Malaysia has played two matches, losing both, and is currently at the bottom of Group B, which includes hosts Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Malaysia.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here