Tayla Vlaeminck’s right foot injured again, 2nd T20I Called Off due to Rain in Adelaide

Points shared as the second Ashes women’s T20I was abandoned due to rain. The second Ashes T20I was washed out at Adelaide Oval only after 4.1 overs. After a delayed start of 50 minutes, the game was reduced to 14 overs a side. A second shower ruled out any possibility of play.

The host won the toss and bowled first. The English opening pair of Danni Wyatt and Tammy Beaumont got the visitors to a good start scoring 25 runs off 4.1 overs, before the umpires called off the match.

Before the start of play, Australia added another victim to their injury list. At present Australia is missing three key players Georgia Wareham, Sophie Molineux and Beth Mooney to injury. Now Tayla Vlaeminck was ruled out with a right foot injury. Vlaeminck had suffered a stress fracture on the same foot in 2020, which ruled her out not only of the ICC T20 World Cup tournament but for another 10 months.

Australian captain Meg Lanning said,” It (came) out of the first game and we’re still assessing how it is and what exactly is going on,”

Tayla Vlaeminck was ruled out with a right foot injury. PC: Getty Images
Tayla Vlaeminck was ruled out with a right foot injury. PC: Getty Images

The 23-year-old Victorian was seen wearing a ‘moon boot’ ahead of the game. Lanning further added, “So we will know a little bit more over the next few days, but obviously not ideal.

“Tay puts on a pretty brave face…I had a chat with her today and its hard to get a read on at the moment and we’ll know a little more information over the next day or so.”

Meg Lanning on Ellyse Perry’s absence in Playing XI

Lanning also addressed the absence of Ellyse Perry from Australian eleven,” At the moment we feel like we can pick players to play specific roles, and at the moment Ellyse didn’t quite fit into that,” Lanning said. “We need players who can come in and impact the game straight away. We’ve gone down the path of playing a lot of all-rounders and with our bowling we had other options to go to ahead of her.”

Also Read:  Match 3: Australia v New Zealand | Squads | Players to Watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming 

Ellyse Perry has been left out of Australia's XI for their Ashes T20 clash with England in Adelaide. Credit: AAP
Ellyse Perry has been left out of Australia’s XI for their Ashes T20 clash with England in Adelaide. Credit: AAP

The England squad opted for an extra bowling option, Charlie Dean, an off-spinning all-rounder was called up for her maiden T20I outing. Nat Sciver, the English vice-captain said, “She’s a great addition to our squad,”

“She’ll throw herself into anything whether it’s batting, bowling or fielding. Having another bowling option for us on this wicket was important.”

Sciver further added that her side is full of motivation to make a comeback. “Batting the way we did [in the first T20], we’re not too disheartened. It made us more motivated for today but we’ll have to take that to tomorrow as well,” she said.

With Australia leading the series 3-1, England need to go all in the third T20I on Sunday to deny the Aussies the series win.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here