Dominant Australia thrash England 12-4 in Women’s Ashes 2022

On Tuesday, Australia won their 10th Women Ashes as they beat England in the multi-format series. Australia pocketed 12 points, while England could manage just four points. So far, 24 Women’s Ashes have been played, with Australia winning 10, England winning six, and eight ending in a draw. The multi-format Women’s Ashes started with a three-match T20I series, followed by a Test, and concluded with a three-match ODI series.

T20I series

Australia Women's Squad Announced for Cricket World Cup 2022. PC: Getty Images
Australia Women’s Squad Announced for Cricket World Cup 2022. PC: Getty Images

The three-match T20I series turned out to be a disappointing affair as there was just one completed match. The second and the third T20Is were abandoned due to rain. Australia won the first T20I comfortably by nine wickets as they chased down 170 in just 17 overs. This was the highest run-chase by the Australian women’s team in a T20I. Tahlia McGrath was the player of the match, as she made match-winning contributions with both bat and ball. The right-handed batter muscled an unbeaten 91 off 49 balls and with the ball, she wreaked havoc scalping 3-26 in her four overs of right arm seam.

After the three-match T20I series, Australia led the points table with four points to England’s two.

Test

Kate Cross and Sophie Ecclestone walks back after helping England draw the Ashes Test. PC: Getty Images
Kate Cross and Sophie Ecclestone walk back after helping England draw the Ashes Test. PC: Getty Images

This Test between Australia and England was one of the best, if not the best, in the history of women’s cricket. Though the match ended in a draw, it kept the spectators at the edge of their seats till the last ball of the final day of the Test. Both the teams scored over 500 runs respectively. Heather Knight, captain of England, scored 216 runs in the match and was the most successful batter across both teams. England’s right-arm speedster Katherine Brunt was the most effective bowler in the Test as she completed the game with figures of 8-84 in 30.1 overs. For Australia, captain Meg Lanning was the top performer with the bat as she mustered 105 runs and Annabel Sutherland was the leading wicket-taker with 5-131 in 34 overs.

Also Read:  Why was Alana King picked over Amanda Jade Wellington for Ashes 2021-22?

The two teams shared two points each as the Test ended in a draw. After the Test, Australia led the points table with six points to England’s four.

ODI series

Dominant Australia thrash England 12-4 in Women's Ashes 2022. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter
Dominant Australia thrash England 12-4 in Women’s Ashes 2022. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter

After an enthralling contest in the Test, the three-match ODI series was expected to showcase a similar thrill. However, in the 50-over contest, Australia left no stone unturned as they white-washed England 3-0 clinically.

Australia won the first ODI by 27 runs, the second ODI by five wickets and the third ODI by eight wickets. England’s Natalie Sciver was the top run-getter in the ODIs with 99 runs from three innings, while Australia’s wicket-keeper-bat Alyssa Healy ranked second with 91 runs from three innings. With the ball, Australia’s Tahlia McGrath was the pick of the bowlers with six wickets, while for England, right arm seamer Kate Cross was the most successful bowler for the visitors with five wickets in two matches.

At the end of the ODI series, Australia won the Women’s Ashes with 12 points to England’s four.

Player of the series

Australia’s all-rounder Tahlia McGrath won the player of the series for her outstanding show with both bat and ball. The right-handed batter put together 225 runs across formats and accounted for 11 wickets. With the ICC Women’s World Cup just a stone’s throw away, Australia will be happy with McGrath’s form and the all-rounder will certainly carry a lot of confidence with her as she travels to New Zealand for the ICC event.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Twitter heaps praises on Meg Lanning's captaincy
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here