A one-of-its-kind cricket tournament is about to kick off in August this year. The Caribbean Premier League (CPL) and Cricket West Indies (CWI) have announced their latest tournament which is a 60-ball tournament called “THE 6IXTY”. It is kind of on the lines of the T10 tournament but with some very innovative and exclusive rules.
The inaugural edition will feature all 6 Men’s CPL teams and 3 Women’s CPL (WCPL) teams in a 60-ball or 10-over format. It will be played between August 24th and 28th at the Warner Park in St. Kitts & Nevis before the 2022 edition of the Caribbean Premier League begins.
The three WCPL teams set to play are Barbados Royals, Guyana Amazon Warriors and Trinbago Knight Riders. It will also be the very first edition of the Women’s Caribbean Premier League.
The distinct features of the tournament are: –
- Instead of the usual 10 wickets that a batting side has, there will only be 6 wickets and the innings will be wrapped up post the fall of the 6th wicket.
- There will be an initial powerplay of two overs and if the batting team manages to hit 2 sixes in that, the batting team can unlock “Floating powerplay over”
- 60 legal deliveries (10 overs) per innings.
- The Bowling team will bowl 5 consecutive overs from each end and the inning must be wrapped up within 45 minutes. Failing to which, the fielding team loses a fielder for the final 6 deliveries.
- One of the most interesting features is that the fans will get to decide when a “Mystery Free-hit” can be taken via an App or website.
“THE 6IXTY has come about because of a close collaboration between CPL and CWI which is the way forward. I am really excited about the innovation, excitement and entertainment that it is going to bring to the fans,” Ricky Skerritt, President of Cricket West Indies said about the unveiling of THE 6IXTY.
The 22 Yard stretch that molded me, is what I hold sacred. A cricketer weaving life’s innings into words. A Rohit Sharma Admirer always. I believe writing and cricket aren’t passions, but ways of life, so truly living the dream!