West Indies to take on Australia in a limited over 3 ODI and 3 T20I series

The West Indies Women’s team was last involved in a limited-overs series three-match ODI series followed by a three-match T20I series against Ireland at home. The series commenced on 26th June 2023 and concluded on 4th July 2023.

West Indies to take on Australia in a limited over 3 ODI and 3 T20I series. PC: Getty
West Indies to take on Australia in a limited over 3 ODI and 3 T20I series. PC: Getty

The home side clinched the ODI series with a 2-0 margin. The second ODI was washed out. The home side white-washed the T20I series against Ireland, as a result staying unbeaten right throughout the series. The next assignment for the West Indies women’s team will be their tour to Australia where they will be playing a limited-overs series that includes a three-match T20I series followed by a three-match ODI series against a formidable Australian side.

However, the touring West Indian side will be high on confidence as they are coming into the series on the back of a five-match unbeaten streak. The emergence of exuberant youth making their way into the senior team on their maiden tour to Australia forms a unit that has a perfect mixture of youth and experience. The visitor’s squad led by the experienced skipper Hayley Matthews will be raring to go all-out against the Aussies.

“It’s hard to say that they’re not the best team in the world. But one thing I can say is that we’re definitely up for the challenge. As a team, and individually, we would have all watched some of the games and seen where England did really well. But at the same time, we know cricket as a sport is played each day match-up versus match-up. What we can focus a lot on is really going out there and playing our best brand of cricket.” Skipper Hayley Matthews speaks about taking on the challenge and focusing on playing their brand of cricket.

The West Indies recently appointed Shane Deitz as the new head coach, replacing Courtney Walsh in October 2020. Before his stint with the West Indies senior women’s side, he was the head coach of the Netherlands women’s team. “He’s gelled really well with the group. He’s spoken a lot about us progressing in the right direction, getting the youngsters to a certain standard and a certain level, and hopefully becoming a more consistent team. His excitement and the energy that he brings has been really good.” Skipper Hayley Matthews speaks about their tunning with the new head coach.

Also Read:  1st ODI: Australia vs West Indies | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

The Australian women’s team was last involved in the Women’s Ashes which concluded in July, earlier this year. The Ashes trophy was eventually tied and Australia went home with the Ashes trophy based on the fact that they were the previous winners of the trophy.

“I think the West Indies can beat anybody on any day, given the firepower that they have in their line-up. I’m expecting a tight contest, especially in the T20 format, I think that’s really where their strength lies. They’ve got one of the best players in the world Hayley Matthews leading the side. They’re not short on talent, we’re expecting them to come out really hot, hit lots of bombs, and bowl really fast and with some skill as well.” Australian skipper Alyssa Healy is vary of the kind of challenges that the West Indies women’s cricket team can bring onto the table.

(Quotes sourced from cricket.com.au)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here