Kayla Reyneke’s 4 Wicket-Haul helped South Africa beat Bangladesh by 5 Wickets

Bangladesh was humbled by South Africa in Group 1’s Super Six match at Potchefstroom in the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup. Bangladesh won the toss and decided to bat first.

South Africa U19 Women's Cricket Team. PC: Getty Images
South Africa U19 Women’s Cricket Team. PC: Getty Images

Bangladesh had a very lukewarm batting effort. Afia Prottasha who has a reputation for giving strong starts was slow to get off the blocks and Misty Shaha, her dependable partner was dismissed for 12 by Jemma Botha. With Dilara Akter, Prottasha still kept the scoreboard ticking but their strike rate was deplorable. But after D Akter was dismissed for 17, Prottasha followed suit and was out for 21 off 33. Shorna Akter’s 20, Sumaiya Akter’s 24 and Rabeya Khan’s 8 paved the way for Bangladesh to score 106/6. Kayla Reyneke was phenomenal with the ball scalping four wickets bowling at an economical 4.75 ably supported by Jemma Botha and Miane Smit with their one wicket apiece.

Elandri Janse van Rensburg was dismissed early on for a shoddy 2 off 11 in an unfortunate run out. Simone Laurens however was quick to score runs and scored four boundaries but her untimely dismissal coupled with Kayla Reyneke’s dismissal for 4 meant, the Proteas team was three wickets down. Madison Landsman then took it upon herself till she was dismissed for 37 and partnered with Karabo Mesowho remained not out on 32 to stitch a crucial partnership and seal the deal for South Africa. Rabeya Khan was outstanding with the ball scalping three wickets but with a low total to defend, it was always going to be easier for the batting side.

Also Read:  Warm-Up Match 5: UAE U19 v Sri Lanka U19 | Squads | Players to Watch | Fantasy Playing XI 

Brief Scores: BAN – 106/6 in 20 overs (S Akter 24, A Prottasha 21; K Reyneke 4/19) lost to SA- 108/5 in 18.5 overs (M Landsman 37, K Meso 32; R Khan 3/18) by 5 wickets and 7 balls remaining

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here