Australia U19 avenge its warm-up loss beating India U19 by 7 Wickets

Australia kickstarts their Super Six campaign with a crucial win against the dangerous Indian side in the Group 1 match at the North-West University No.1 Ground in Potchefstroom. Australia won the toss and elected to field first putting India to bat first.

Milly Illingworth celebrating a wicket. PC: Getty Images
Milly Illingworth celebrating a wicket. PC: Getty Images

India had a rough outing with the bat losing Shafali Verma early on for 8 and although she got off to a flyer, she could not sustain it. G Trisha’s dismissal for 4, Sonia Mendhiya’s 2 and Richa Ghosh for 7 meant a flurry of wickets for India and back-to-back setbacks. However, with the dependable

Shweta Sehrawat still on the crease, there was still a glimmer of hope. But when she was dismissed in the 10th over, India was five wickets down and Parshavi Chopra and Mannat Kashyap’s dismissals worsened the situation. Hrishita Basu’s 14 coupled with a similar score of 14 by Titas Sadhu after their dismissals meant India folded for a dismal 87. Sianna Ginger was phenomenal with the ball scalping three wickets while Milly Illingworth and Maggie Clark with their two wickets were also instrumental in breaking the spine of the Indian batting.

Australia had a brisk start with Kate Pelle and Sianna Ginger giving them the much-needed momentum for this small yet tricky run-chase. Pelle’s dismissal signalled Claire Moore’s entry who scored 25 and Amy Smith also scoring 26, helped register a crucial win for Australia in 13.5 overs.

Also Read:  Semi Final 1: India vs Bangladesh | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Brief Scores: IND-87 all out in 18.5 overs (S Sehrawat 21, T Sadhu 14; S Ginger 3/13, M Illingworth 2/12) lost to AUS- 88/3 in 13.5 overs (A Smith 26*, C Moore 25*; A Devi 1/7, T Sadhu 1/13)by 7 wickets with 37 balls remaining

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here