Bangladesh U19 Announces squad for the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has announced its 15-member squad ahead of the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup which is scheduled to begin on 14th January 2023.

Disha Biswas to lead Bangladesh U19 Women's Cricket Team. PC: icc-cricket.com
Disha Biswas to lead Bangladesh U19 Women’s Cricket Team. PC: icc-cricket.com

When will the team leave?

The Bangladesh team will have two more practice sessions and then leave for South Africa on 1st January to partake in a pre-event camp and play practice matches in the lead-up to the World Cup.

Do they have warm-up matches scheduled?

Bangladesh has warm-up matches scheduled against South Africa on 9th January and India on 10th January.

Which Group is Bangladesh a part of?

Bangladesh is a part of Group A and will be squaring off against the likes of Australia, Sri Lanka, and the United States of America.

Group Stage Matches for Bangladesh Women’s Cricket Team

Date 

Opposition

Time (in IST)

14th January

Australia

1:30 PM

16th January

Sri Lanka

18th January

United States of America

Who comprises the Bangladesh squad?

Disha Biswas (c), Shorna Akter (vc), Rabeya, Marufa Akter, Dilara Akter, Misty Rany Saha, Reya Akter Shika, Sumaiya Akter,  Afia Humaira Anam Prottasha, Mst Unnoti Akter, Mst Dipa Khatun, Leky Chakma, Asrafi Yeasmin Arthy, Jannatul Maoua, Mst Eva

Stand by players: Suborna Kormakar, Nishita Akter Nishi, Mst Rabaya Khatun, Juairiya Ferdous

Takeaways:

• Bangladesh will be led by Disha Biswas with Shorna Akter serving as her deputy.

• The internationally seasoned trio of Marufa Akter, Dilara Akter, and Rabeya besides the skipper, Disha Biswas are a part of the squad and lend balance to the unit.

• Dipu Roy Chowdhury will be the Head Coach of the team.

• The team is high on confidence having already played the Malaysian team and defeated them in all five encounters.

Also Read:  Quarter-Final 4: Bangladesh vs Hong Kong | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

What did the Chief Selector, Monjurul Islam have to say?

“We have selected a squad that has been together for the past two years and therefore, there is excellent team spirit and understanding. Four players in this side, captain Disha Biswas, Rabeya, Marufa Akter, and Dilara Akter have toured New Zealand with the senior team and three of them have made full international appearances already. I am confident that this team will be very competitive in the first-ever U-19 World Cup for women,” he added.

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here