Zimbabwe U19 Announces squad for the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup

The Zimbabwe Cricket Board has announced their 15-member squad ahead of the ICC U-19 Women’s T20 World Cup in South Africa. Zimbabwe will be led by the 17-year-old all-rounder Kelis Ndhlovu who has international experience under her belt having featured in 15 T20Is for the senior team and has also scored 285 runs while chipping in with 15 wickets at an impressive average of 11.46 with her wily left-arm orthodox bowling.

Zimbabwe U19 Announces squad for the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup. PC: icc-cricket.com
Zimbabwe U19 Announces squad for the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup. PC: icc-cricket.com

She made a mark for herself as she topped the wicket-taking charts at the Women’s T20 World Cup Qualifier earlier this year scalping 11 wickets and has set herself apart for her remarkable batting partnership of 158 against Namibia. Michelle Mavunga is another interesting addition to the squad and she has five T20Is experience playing for the senior side.

Zimbabwe is also strengthened with the presence of Kay and Kelly Ndiraya and with Tawananyasha Marumani, the trio have been consistent performers in the preparation tours while also featuring regularly for the various academy-level games. They have Trevor Phiri as the head coach and will be looking to make a statement at the U-19 World Cup.

Which Group is Zimbabwe a part of?

Zimbabwe is a part of Group B and will square off against England, Rwanda, and Pakistan. They play England on the 15th of January, their continental rivals Rwanda on January 17th, and Pakistan on January 19th. All the Group B encounters will happen in Potchefstroom. The top three from each group progress to the next round.

When are their group-stage matches scheduled?

Date

Opposition

Time (in IST)

15th January

England

5:15 PM

17th January

Rwanda

1:30 PM

19th January

Pakistan

5:15 PM

Also Read:  3rd T20I: Zimbabwe vs Ireland | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

Who comprises the Zimbabwe squad?

Kelis Ndhlovu (captain), Kelly Ndiraya, Kay Ndiraya, Adel Zimunhu, Natasha Mutomba, Vimbai Mutungwindu, Danielle Meikle, Tawananyasha Marumani, Michelle Mavunga, Olinda Chare, Kudzai Chigora, Betty Mangachena, Chipo Moyo, Faith Ndhlalambi, Rukudzo Mwakayeni

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here