Sri Lanka’s 17 member squad for South Africa tour announced

Sri Lanka gears up for their first tour of South Africa since 2019, scheduled from March 27th to April 17th, 2024, across multiple venues. A week out from the tour, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has announced their squad following approval from the sports ministry.

Sri Lanka's 17 member squad for South Africa tour announced
Sri Lanka’s 17 member squad for South Africa tour announced

After a long absence from the field since September 2023, Sri Lanka will play 3 Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) and as many One-Day Internationals (ODIs) on this tour of South Africa.

While Sri Lanka has retained the squad that toured England in October-September 2023, it also marks the return of Prasadini Weerakkody, who last featured in the ODIs against Bangladesh in ’23, with her last T20I dating back to February ’19. The keeper-batter has featured in 56 ODIs, amassing 983 runs, and has accumulated 303 runs from 27 T20Is.

Prasadini, 35, didn’t score many runs, but her 101 runs from 4 outings in the 50-over games and 94 runs from 4 outings in the 20-over games in the 2024 domestic season, proved enough for her return to the national side. Led by Chamari Athapaththu, the squad features a blend of experience and youth, with Inoka Ranaweera, Oshadi Ranasinghe, Harshitha Samarawickrama, and Vishmi Gunaratne named in the squad of 17.

Sri Lanka’s squad for the tour of South Africa:

Chamari Athapaththu (C), Vishmi Gunaratne, Nilakshi de Silva, Harshitha Samarawickrama, Kavisha Dilhari, Hasini Perera, Anushka Sanjeewani, Oshadi Ranasinghe, Udeshika Prabodhani, Inoka Ranaweera, Achini Kulasuriya, Hansima Karunaratne, Imesha Dulani, Kawya Kavindi, Inoshi Fernando, Sugandika Kumari, Prasadini Weerakkody

Both South Africa and Sri Lanka have played an equal number (15) of ODIs in the ongoing International Cricket Council (ICC) Women’s Championship 2022/23-25. However, while South Africa is placed 2nd with 10 wins and 5 defeats, Sri Lanka is seeded 8th with 4 wins and 8 losses. The two have played each other in 14 ODIs, with South Africa holding a clear edge with 10 wins.

Also Read:  1st ODI: England vs Sri Lanka | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

For Sri Lanka, the T20I series will be crucial as they are slated to play in the ICC Global Qualifier in April-May, followed by the Asia Cup and also the mega ICC event, the Women’s T20 World Cup later this year. South Africa, as well, will aim to solidify their squad for the World Cup amidst experiments with multiple rookie talents. In the T20Is, South Africa again holds the edge in head-to-head face-offs with 14 wins and 2 games not producing a result.

South Africa v Sri Lanka, series schedule:

DATE EVENT VENUE TIME (IST)
27-Mar-24 1st T20I Willowmoore Park, Benoni
9:30 PM
30-Mar-24 2nd T20I Senwes Park, Potchefstroom
03-Apr-24 3rd T20I Buffalo Park, East London
09-Apr-24 1st ODI Buffalo Park, East London
5:30 PM
13-Apr-24 2nd ODI Diamond Oval, Kimberley
17-Apr-24 3rd ODI Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

South Africa’s T20I squad:

Laura Wolvaardt (C), Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits, Nadine de Klerk, Annerie Dercksen, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Suné Luus, Eliz-Mari Marx, Karabo Meso, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Tumi Sekhukhune, Chloé Tryon

*South Africa will name the ODI squad in due course

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here